Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello!
Hello!
I'm an agnostic atheist.
I reject the assumption of there being a deity while dismissing the notion as an impenetrable concept
So it's nice to see a forum site where I can share my beliefs with like-minded folk.

Was I born an atheist?

No. In fact, everyone from my friends to my family still thinks I'm religious. I've grown up in a Conservative Evangelical Christian household all my life. Now I'm a godless 18 year old Libertarian who's been a closet atheist for about a year now. I don't think I'll ever come out to my parents as an atheist as long as I'm living under their roof.

How did I become an atheist?

Most Christians seem to assume that people leave the religion merely because they're angry at God or that they let their emotions get better of them. This couldn't be further from the truth in my case. A year and a half ago was around the time I began to question the religious beliefs and stances I've been taught all my life. This feeling of curiosity was started by a rebellious self-longing to think differently and alternately from my parents' beliefs. This eventually lead to the day where I asked myself, "What if I'm wrong?". This question sparked in me a burst of skepticism, and from there on I began to question some of the fundamental beliefs of the religion I was brought up in. "Is the Bible an imperfect text?" "Did the Flood ever occur?" "What is the origin of the Earth?" "Is there even a God?" All the answers to these questions from a Christian perspective are rooted on the grounds of "faith". And THAT is when it occurred to me that religion in itself was fundamentally flawed. This is because each religion relies on faith as the foundation for it's own support, and religious faith by it's own definition is unshakable Gnostic belief without evidence. Understanding this, I began to see fundamental Christian beliefs in a different light. As I began to do my own research, I strayed further and further from my religion. And that is how I became an atheist.

Any other things to add?
  • As I'm on this site, I'd like to avoid certain topics relating to feminism. This is because I was made aware ahead of time that this particular topic has separated atheist community and that it's a subject that is best left alone and unmentioned. I'd much rather talk about topics relating to religion and science.
  • Fun Fact: This is the first time I've ever admitted publicly that I was an atheist. I feel more at ease now that I've made this statement in public. Even if it is on the internet.
I hope I can learn a thing or two chatting with the folk on this site. I'm constantly looking for ways to educate myself on topics like evolution and the origin of the universe. Since I have a "religious education" my understanding of both of the topics are weak. If someone could point me to an online educational site or a book I can obtain through iBooks that would be great!

Thanks!  Big Grin
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then He is not omnipotent. Is He able, but not willing? Then He is malevolent. Is He both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is He neither able nor willing? Then why call Him God?" - Epicurus
RE: Hello!
Welcome aboard Smile
Welcome.

Baby sacrifices are on Sundays followed by the baby-que.
Dying to live, living to die.
(April 19, 2016 at 6:40 pm)Skeptimus Signus Wrote: I'm an agnostic atheist.
I reject the assumption of there being a deity while dismissing the notion as an impenetrable concept
So it's nice to see a forum site where I can share my beliefs with like-minded folk.

Was I born an atheist?

No. In fact, everyone from my friends to my family still thinks I'm religious. I've grown up in a Conservative Evangelical Christian household all my life. Now I'm a godless 18 year old Libertarian who's been a closet atheist for about a year now. I don't think I'll ever come out to my parents as an atheist as long as I'm living under their roof.

How did I become an atheist?

Most Christians seem to assume that people leave the religion merely because they're angry at God or that they let their emotions get better of them. This couldn't be further from the truth in my case. A year and a half ago was around the time I began to question the religious beliefs and stances I've been taught all my life. This feeling of curiosity was started by a rebellious self-longing to think differently and alternately from my parents' beliefs. This eventually lead to the day where I asked myself, "What if I'm wrong?". This question sparked in me a burst of skepticism, and from there on I began to question some of the fundamental beliefs of the religion I was brought up in. "Is the Bible an imperfect text?" "Did the Flood ever occur?" "What is the origin of the Earth?" "Is there even a God?" All the answers to these questions from a Christian perspective are rooted on the grounds of "faith". And THAT is when it occurred to me that religion in itself was fundamentally flawed. This is because each religion relies on faith as the foundation for it's own support, and religious faith by it's own definition is unshakable Gnostic belief without evidence. Understanding this, I began to see fundamental Christian beliefs in a different light. As I began to do my own research, I strayed further and further from my religion. And that is how I became an atheist.

Any other things to add?
  • As I'm on this site, I'd like to avoid certain topics relating to feminism. This is because I was made aware ahead of time that this particular topic has separated atheist community and that it's a subject that is best left alone and unmentioned. I'd much rather talk about topics relating to religion and science.
  • Fun Fact: This is the first time I've ever admitted publicly that I was an atheist. I feel more at ease now that I've made this statement in public. Even if it is on the internet.
I hope I can learn a thing or two chatting with the folk on this site. I'm constantly looking for ways to educate myself on topics like evolution and the origin of the universe. Since I have a "religious education" my understanding of both of the topics are weak. If someone could point me to an online educational site or a book I can obtain through iBooks that would be great!

Thanks!  Big Grin

Great intro and welcome.  Hope you like it here and get lots of great insights.  You impress me as very smart about not coming out while you're under your parents roof.  Being a martyr isn't everything it's cracked up to be.
I have a friend who is a "redneck" from Oklahoma. He grew up religious left it in his early 20s, was Libertarian when I met him on line, but after stint at Dish Hellwork he's now both a flaming social and economic liberal voting for Bernie.

But glad you at least lost the cosmic sky hero. Your economics are a separate issue. Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission, and rip the tags off of your mattress.
Hello there.
Welcome. Smile
Sup bro/sis!

Libertarian eh? At least we probably agree on half of political things then Big Grin

As for avoiding feminism discussions, well... Hopefully it's as easy as avoiding threads about feminism... We do get the occasional heated discussion about everything, including feminism, but there should be more than enough stuff to keep your interest!
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Hellerrr!

Welcome from Tennessee!

It's easy to avoid talking about feminism here. Just don't go into any of pool's threads. Tongue

No but really, glad to have you. My story is somewhat similar to yours.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Hey SS. Welcome.
What kind of phone you got?

Blackberries are for theists only!
(Because they can't move with the times!)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 6016 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3650 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates