Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A case for positive atheism
A case for positive atheism
Atheists often say (I've seen numerous members of this forum do it) that atheism is merely a lack of belief in God, so atheists have no burden of proof. We make no positive statement about God's non-existence, it is argued. My problem with this is that it's unclear how this is different from agnosticism. Agnostics aren't sure whether God exists or not, but they lack belief in a god as much as they lack disbelief.

A few months ago, while debating some wishy-washy fence-sitters over at Agnostic Forums, I devised an argument to show that the default epistemic position is that there probably is no god. God's non-existence is more likely than his existence, a priori. It's a very simple argument, and I'm going to set it out for you in a few steps, like a formal logical argument in philosophy. See what y'all think.

1) The human mind can conceive of an infinite, or at least very large, number of things.
2) There is no necessary correspondence between these ideas and reality. We can easily demonstrate this, because I can imagine there being a giraffe on my desk, but there is not. Nor are there any skunks, perpetual motion machines, 12th century minstrels, or purple fairies called Gerald.
3) Only if there is evidence for a particular idea is its existence in reality probable.
4) Because there are so many things we can think of, none of which is necessarily real, what we think of is very unlikely to be real.
5) There is no evidence, or no good evidence, for God's existence (this, of course, could be disputed, but that's no doubt been done and dealt with elsewhere).
6) The concept of God is very unlikely to exist in reality.
7) Ergo.. there probably is no god.

I'd appreciate your comments on this argument. Any flaws that you can see, please tell me. Especially if you think it's a load of shit.

Omnissiunt One
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
RE: A case for positive atheism
To address the difference issue: Obviously, how you define things (or interpret them rather) is quite subjective. So, my explanation for choosing atheism over agnosticism might not even ring true for anyone else. However, your statement "they lack belief in a god as much as they lack disbelief" was my main selling point. I do not find them to be on equal footing. Science has shown that the universe is explainable (to the highest degree possible that we can attain as of yet) without any divine intervention. That isn't 50/50 to me, so... atheist I am.

Edit: And then I see the point of your whole post to begin with. Hi, I can't read. Nice to meet you.

Edit x 2: One issue I have is with #2. We CAN put a giraffe on your desk, or a skunk - so I think I'd stick to things that (as we currently know) could not be placed onto your desk.
I consider myself a militant atheist or a hardcore atheist for the simple fact that I am convinced to my own satisfaction that god or any gods for that matter do not, nor cannot exist outside the confines of the imaginations of those that do believe in him or them. I am of the opinion that the whole idea or concept of gods in general were created by men as a means to explain those things which in a more primitive time were not known. One of the best examples for this is found in Greek mythology where most of their deities were representatives of various natural phenomenon or human traits. Other more ancient cultures also followed the same blue print and had created deities that were also representative of the planets, the times or the seasons.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

I think its a great train of thought for someone who is *sitting on the fence* .. consider it a shove off the fence onto the side of atheism, but just a shove. IMHO, it wouldn't hold up against fundamentalists, but you probably didn't devise this to be used as an argument while debating a religious person.

*edit* point number 5 is probably your weakest point if you were dealing with an agnostic leaning more towards the existence of a deity.
Just call me doc! im not a doctor though.. Big Grin
Quote:1) The human mind can conceive of an infinite, or at least very large, number of things.

Not to nit-pick but lots of people can't think of much at all.
(July 27, 2010 at 4:31 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:1) The human mind can conceive of an infinite, or at least very large, number of things.

hahaha a good phrase would be "the human mind has the capacity to..."
Just call me doc! im not a doctor though.. Big Grin
(July 27, 2010 at 4:35 pm)DR7164 Wrote:

hahaha a good phrase would be "the human mind has the capacity to..."

Not quite. Not all human minds have that capacity or ability. Some don't have the ability even if they wanted to.

That's unfair. They can think of things... it's just all bullshit. Which was the point of my argument, really.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
Where does it say that I have to be "fair" to shit-wits?

If they wish to believe in their gods and boogeymen then they are fair game.
(July 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm)The Omnissiunt One Wrote: Atheists often say (I've seen numerous members of this forum do it) that atheism is merely a lack of belief in God, so atheists have no burden of proof. We make no positive statement about God's non-existence, it is argued. My problem with this is that it's unclear how this is different from agnosticism. Agnostics aren't sure whether God exists or not, but they lack belief in a god as much as they lack disbelief.

Oh dear, you've already failed.

Agnosticism and Atheism are not mutually exclusive.

I do not believe that the existence of god can be proved or disproved, so i hold no belief in god. This makes me both an atheist and and agnostic.

Quote:A few months ago, while debating some wishy-washy fence-sitters over at Agnostic Forums, I devised an argument to show that the default epistemic position is that there probably is no god.

I agree - statistically speaking even. Out of all the possible outcomes god is just one of many many different proposed ideas. That alone makes it probabilistically low. Then you consider the fact that there is not a single shred of evidence nor a single logically valid argument for his existence.... Even super-out-there string theory is at least logically coherent.

Quote: God's non-existence is more likely than his existence, a priori. It's a very simple argument, and I'm going to set it out for you in a few steps, like a formal logical argument in philosophy. See what y'all think.

Okay.

My brain has a limited capacity for storage and a limited capacity for processing data, therefore it cannot possibly conceive of an unlimited number of things... So from this point on i approach your argument through the statement "the human mind can conceive of a very large number of things".

Quote:2) There is no necessary correspondence between these ideas and reality. We can easily demonstrate this, because I can imagine there being a giraffe on my desk, but there is not. Nor are there any skunks, perpetual motion machines, 12th century minstrels, or purple fairies called Gerald.

Agreed

Quote:3) Only if there is evidence for a particular idea is its existence in reality probable.

This statement assumes we have the knowledge required to make such claims, which imo is entirely naive.

The fact that we know of no evidence for a particular something does not make the something improbable. All we can say is what explanation is best supported, considering the total information available . It is exactly akin to saying "we have no evidence for the cause of inflation therefore the cause of inflation is improbable"... That's garbage, as you can see.

Quote:4) Because there are so many things we can think of, none of which is necessarily real, what we think of is very unlikely to be real.

This only works in situations where no evidence favors either position, such as the cause of universal inflation.

Quote:5) There is no evidence, or no good evidence, for God's existence (this, of course, could be disputed, but that's no doubt been done and dealt with elsewhere).

Agree.

Quote:6) The concept of God is very unlikely to exist in reality.

Agreed.

Quote:7) Ergo.. there probably is no god.

That is agnosticism buddy...

Example: Of the 20 or near abouts explanations i have conceived of for the cause of inflation, none are supported by evidence, therefore we cannot logically conclude that one is more likely than any other. God is one such explanation therefore is just as likely as all any other individual explanation.

Since no explanation is any more supported than any other, the only logical position is to withhold judgement - This is agnosticism.

Specifically excluding God as an explanation is irrational.

Quote:I'd appreciate your comments on this argument. Any flaws that you can see, please tell me. Especially if you think it's a load of shit.

Objections noted.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star A positive identity for atheists - Crusading Faithful Atheism Duty 95 6152 February 27, 2022 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Duty
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6330 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Cold-Case Christianity LadyForCamus 32 4529 May 24, 2019 at 7:52 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Atheism: The Case Against God by George H. Smith Alexmahone 10 1796 March 4, 2018 at 6:52 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27110 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is your favourite positive argument for atheism/unbelief? Lucanus 113 25811 April 22, 2017 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  The curious case of Sarah Salviander. Jehanne 24 6245 December 27, 2016 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Religion should be encouraged if it has positive effects on people.What do you think? ErGingerbreadMandude 31 5500 December 27, 2016 at 2:07 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  The Case for Atheism Drew_2013 410 208437 March 17, 2016 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12468 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott