Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I wonder
I wonder
how many of them have people on them who think that their planet is the center of the whole fucking universe?

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36256725

Quote:Kepler telescope discovers 100 Earth-sized planets

Or is that only here?
RE: I wonder
9 of them in the conventional habitable zone
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Good. Sad thing though, unless we beat the speed of light, we will never know for sure.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(May 10, 2016 at 5:41 pm)abaris Wrote: Good. Sad thing though, unless we beat the speed of light, we will never know for sure.

The best chance to learn more about the conditions and possible life from here is to measure the composition of their atmospheres using the light of their star going through it.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Yup, a breathable atmosphere would be nice. Now, if we could come up with a way to measure withering background radiation or the presence of corrosive sand or armour-plated predators or brain-melting viruses, we'd be all set.

You know what would set me laughing? A planet that appears completely Earth-like in all respects, except that it has an undetectable anomalous property that explodes carbonaceous life-forms on contact:

'Command ship, this is Harrison. Landing boat successfully grounded. I'm about to be the first human being to set foot on *WHOMP*...'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Here is a different article stating 1,284 planets.

Quote:550 could be rocky planets like Earth
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
We can never get there and neither will any messages at the speed of light...
We'd all be long dead by then... Let's try to keep it real please.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
We could get there in a generation ship, but the problem is we see what it was 100, 1000, 100,000 years ago and when/if we get there, what will we find? That is the basis of my argument against extraterrestrial visitors.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
Does anybody here think that one planet has ever visited another with a generational ship?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Not I. The technology and combined luck just to find a planet to get to would be tremendous and the time lag from what one found to what it is 'now', then the time lag of the trip. How would the small society handle the enclosed space for 1000+ years? What would need to be the minimum size for a decent gene pool? The ongoing gene pool would have to be kept as clean as possible and imagine if there were, 'god forbid', christians on board.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy