Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
elementary OS
elementary OS
Just installed it like 5 days ago, it's really cool, I always stayed away from the idea of having linux as my main OS, but I haven't been to windows ever since I installed this distro.  I tried lots of other distros before this, this one is just amazing. All software that I use is here including: sublime text, chrome(not chromium), firefox, midori, Geary(email client), spotify, deluge(torrent client), drop box, amd catalyst, libre office(MS office alternative). and with micro-fuckme-soft making their OS shittier and less practical everyday, I think linux distros deserve a try.

If you're gonna install elementary OS, plz tell me to tell you all the tricks and to avoid my mistakes.

what's the linux distro you use/used ? please provide your personal experience.
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
RE: elementary OS
I need my games, games, games!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Linux distros have really improved in usability in the almost 20 years since I was first introduced to linux.

I'm currently (slowly) transitioning from Windows 10 to Manjaro, which is an Arch-based distro. Rolling release updates that are about 7-14 days behind Arch itself, they actually help with upstream security issues and bug fixes, and it's just a nice, stable system with a good wiki and user forums to use/visit if one has any trouble. So far, it's been rock solid.

I've used Mint for years, but their hack in February left me cold. It's a pretty solid OS (it's based on Ubuntu), but the biggest issue for me is how they handle security and bugs. They were idiots with how they handled their website (old WordPress site with neither the core app nor its addons upgraded in forever, the .iso files served from the same web server, etc.). They also have an idiotic way of handling package conflicts - if a package update causes a conflict, they simply blacklist the updates rather than try to work with upstream to fix the issue. So, if there's a program stability or security issue that would impact OS stability, they allow it to persist. Yeah, there are ways around it (like PPAs and whatnot), but it's still dumb. Mint is popular enough that they should have the resources to do better. Best thing they ever did was make Cinnamon. Best linux UI I've ever used. But all that stuff about security is why I'm transferring over to Manjaro. The people there seem to have a better head on their shoulders overall.

I'm going to use Xubuntu 16.04 for my dev environment. I hate Unity, and KDE seems buggy on my hardware. Xfce is what stock Manjaro uses, so there will be a consistency there. Just gotta get off my ass and migrate my stuff over.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(May 11, 2016 at 6:27 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: Linux distros have really improved in usability in the almost 20 years since I was first introduced to linux.

I'm currently (slowly) transitioning from Windows 10 to Manjaro, which is an Arch-based distro.  Rolling release updates that are about 7-14 days behind Arch itself, they actually help with upstream security issues and bug fixes, and it's just a nice, stable system with a good wiki and user forums to use/visit if one has any trouble.  So far, it's been rock solid.

I've used Mint for years, but their hack in February left me cold.  It's a pretty solid OS (it's based on Ubuntu), but the biggest issue for me is how they handle security and bugs.  They were idiots with how they handled their website (old WordPress site with neither the core app nor its addons upgraded in forever, the .iso files served from the same web server, etc.).  They also have an idiotic way of handling package conflicts - if a package update causes a conflict, they simply blacklist the updates rather than try to work with upstream to fix the issue.  So, if there's a program stability or security issue that would impact OS stability, they allow it to persist.  Yeah, there are ways around it (like PPAs and whatnot), but it's still dumb.  Mint is popular enough that they should have the resources to do better.  Best thing they ever did was make Cinnamon.  Best linux UI I've ever used.  But all that stuff about security is why I'm transferring over to Manjaro.  The people there seem to have a better head on their shoulders overall.

I'm going to use Xubuntu 16.04 for my dev environment.  I hate Unity, and KDE seems buggy on my hardware.  Xfce is what stock Manjaro uses, so there will be a consistency there.  Just gotta get off my ass and migrate my stuff over.

I've tried the bare standalone arch linux, it was kinda hard to install(coming from a programmer), and their wiki imo is pure shit, if their wiki was good enough, there weren't gonna be tons of vids and blogs on how to install arch.  I didn't find it useful really, maybe in a raspberry pi it would be useful. Manjaro is kinda trying to look like windows 10 though. Tried Mint, it sucked, didn't feel it's worth it anyway, it's just a ubuntu with a different UI(not even original).
Xubuntu, ubuntu, Lubuntu, i've tried all dat shit man, you are missing out on elementary OS, just try it, you won't regret it.
[Image: eUdzMRc.gif]
Well, like I said, Manjaro is Arch-based. It's not pure Arch. Their wiki (which is separate from Arch's wiki) is just fine. And Xfce looks nothing like Windows 10. There are no live tiles or anything like that.

I don't need to try elementary OS because I'm perfectly comfortable with what I have. My main concerns are always "is it stable, secure, and easy enough to use?" I don't need a ton of polish (if I did, I'd try getting KDE to work), just something that works.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"