Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new Doom
The new Doom
I bought it and have really enjoyed the little that I have gotten to play; my two oldest sons (who are hogging our "gaming" PC) seem to like it.  It does not appear to be a survival-horror genre of Doom 3, kind of cartoonish and linear, but still, fun to play.  I like the high-tech weapons and more open spaces in which to fight.

Thoughts?
RE: The new Doom
It's pretty much doom it was never really supposed to be a horror game except for 3 excluding BFG.
More or less its supposed to be a linear shooter like the original and that's what they did.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(May 19, 2016 at 11:01 pm)dyresand Wrote: It's pretty much doom it was never really supposed to be a horror game except for 3 excluding BFG.
More or less its supposed to be a linear shooter like the original and that's what they did.

Doom 3 scared the "hell" out of me.  Originally, the game forced you to choose between the flashlight and a weapon, but the DuctTape mod fixed that.  But even then, I could not play it alone and had to use some other buddy mods to have AI players with me, or play it on co-op, which seemed not to last very long as servers dried-up.  Of course, many enjoy such shock games, but not me. The new Doom is a return to the series' roots.
(May 20, 2016 at 7:36 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(May 19, 2016 at 11:01 pm)dyresand Wrote: It's pretty much doom it was never really supposed to be a horror game except for 3 excluding BFG.

Doom 3 scared the "hell" out of me.  Originally, the game forced you to choose between the flashlight and a weapon, but the DuctTape mod fixed that.  But even then, I could not play it alone and had to use some other buddy mods to have AI players with me, or play it on co-op, which seemed not to last very long as servers dried-up.  Of course, many enjoy such shock games, but not me.  The new Doom is a return to the series' roots.

IGN gave it a 7 out of 10 then again IGN loves to kiss COD developers asses with perfect 10/10 while the fan base for COD keeps getting smaller and smaller.]
Mean while other places call it amazing and a perfect 10 out of 10.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Doom / Doom 2 were amazing when they were new. I never played Doom 3.

Is it just me or is the shooter genre pretty much played out?
Doom was my original FPS game. I played it until I went into God mode and got the brass knuckles out. Just beat the crap out of everything. Best home-work avoidance system I had.

Bootleg copy, of course.
I've only played the multiplayer beta, and I was sorely disappointed. For the series that gave us the term "deathmatch," it seems that they really phoned in the MP. I guess I'll have to wait for Battlefield 1 to get some good PvP.

That being said, I've watched videos of the single player and read the reviews, and I can't say I'm too intrigued. It appears to be a mostly brainless shoot 'em up. I may rent it here after I get bored of Uncharted 4.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(May 20, 2016 at 3:33 pm)dyresand Wrote:
(May 20, 2016 at 7:36 am)Jehanne Wrote: Doom 3 scared the "hell" out of me.  Originally, the game forced you to choose between the flashlight and a weapon, but the DuctTape mod fixed that.  But even then, I could not play it alone and had to use some other buddy mods to have AI players with me, or play it on co-op, which seemed not to last very long as servers dried-up.  Of course, many enjoy such shock games, but not me.  The new Doom is a return to the series' roots.

IGN gave it a 7 out of 10 then again IGN loves to kiss COD developers asses with perfect 10/10 while the fan base for COD keeps getting smaller and smaller.]

That was my impression of IGN, also; seems like they are on the "dole" for someone.
(May 20, 2016 at 3:33 pm)dyresand Wrote:
(May 20, 2016 at 7:36 am)Jehanne Wrote: Doom 3 scared the "hell" out of me.  Originally, the game forced you to choose between the flashlight and a weapon, but the DuctTape mod fixed that.  But even then, I could not play it alone and had to use some other buddy mods to have AI players with me, or play it on co-op, which seemed not to last very long as servers dried-up.  Of course, many enjoy such shock games, but not me.  The new Doom is a return to the series' roots.

I stopped playing CoD after Black Ops 1.

Always been more of a Battlefield fan anyway.
I did not like the new Doom at all. The action got repetitive way too fast, and there's no story at all, not that I expected much, I'd play doom 2 over this any day.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does anyone here like Doom? Lassic 40 5461 March 28, 2020 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Rob's Doom mod RobbyPants 20 1653 February 22, 2020 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Brütal Doom Autumnlicious 9 6029 February 25, 2016 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The new Doom? Jehanne 12 1782 February 21, 2016 at 2:52 am
Last Post: ignoramus