Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Miami Establishes Chair for Study of Atheism
University of Miami Establishes Chair for Study of Atheism
With an increasing number of Americans leaving religion behind, the University of Miami has received a donation in late April from a wealthy atheist to endow what it says is the nation’s first academic chair “for the study of atheism, humanism and secular ethics.”
The chair has been established after years of discussion with a $2.2 million donation from Louis J. Appignani, a retired businessman and former president and chairman of the modeling school Barbizon International, who has given grants to many humanist and secular causes — though this is his largest so far. The university, which has not yet publicly announced the new chair, will appoint a committee of faculty members to conduct a search for a scholar to fill the position.
“I’m trying to eliminate discrimination against atheists,” said Mr. Appignani, who is 83 and lives in Florida. “So this is a step in that direction, to make atheism legitimate.”

Please see link...
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
RE: University of Miami Establishes Chair for Study of Atheism
WOOT finally
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
2.2 million? Jeebz. I'd take $20 to tell people there's probably no god.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(May 20, 2016 at 6:58 pm)The_Empress Wrote: 2.2 million? Jeebz. I'd take $20 to tell people there's probably no god.

I'd do it for a glass of milk and a bikkie.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Honestly, I'm surprised it's so low. Professors are rock stars nowadays (well, some are).
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I wonder who they'll get to teach it?
(May 20, 2016 at 7:12 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I wonder who they'll get to teach it?

I wonder what they'll teach.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I suppose you could just make fun of the fundies.
Well done, Miami.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  'Oldest' Koran fragments found in Birmingham University pocaracas 47 12085 July 23, 2015 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Dystopia