Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humans are scum
Humans are scum
Humans are disgusting; they have the minds to do better, but they can't do better. They're damned to make things worse for themselves, to make the wrong choices time and again. They love torture, they'd rather skin someone alive than have a conversation, their mouths water at the idea of violence. Humans are horrid things - they saw people in half for fun, they burn people for fun. Every facet of this species is vile. They don't want to solve problems, they want to celebrate ignorance while the world burns.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
RE: Humans are scum
Humanity isn't all that bad. Yes there is violence and ignorance, but compared to that there's a lot more good out there, and we ARE making progress towards a more civilized world slowly. News and media tend to focus only on the bad things but if you look around you from a neutral standpoint, you'll see there are more good people in our society than the "scum"
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I can't say I disagree. Reading the comments on news stories reinforces that notion that we are selfish, violent assholes.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
Yeah, but we're making progress. I can't recall the last time I witnessed our species of primate throwing our own feces in order to exhibit displeasure. Had to be careful how I worded that as I believe there are still cow chip throwing contests.
While Humans are capable of depraved things, society at large has actually improved over time. Especially in modern society. We still have problems that you'd think would have been wiped out by now, but health, wealth, and happiness has gone up in many places over time. One of the biggest problems is the few having power over the many, which is kind of hard to deal with. You need people to be in charge of the goings on of society, but you need the people in high positions to be subservient to the people in lower positions. that's where you get the term public servant. It's an ongoing struggle, but the good has outweighed the bad in many areas.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

A more considered reply...

Accentuating the positive always seems to be much more difficult than pointing at atrocities of some sort as the basis of generalization. Steven Pinker's The Better Angels of our Nature is an excellent and thoroughly researched work that puts our progress in this regard into perspective.

http://stevenpinker.com/publications/bet...our-nature

We certainly aren't perfect, but not near as bad as reported considering our recent history. Pinker's book might change the way you view the issue.
(May 22, 2016 at 12:52 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: Humanity isn't all that bad. Yes there is violence and ignorance, but compared to that there's a lot more good out there, and we ARE making progress towards a more civilized world slowly. News and media tend to focus only on the bad things but if you look around you from a neutral standpoint, you'll see there are more good people in our society than the "scum"

Where is this 'lot more' good? Humans have tortured and killed each other for centuries; it's the natural way of our species. There may have been a decline in violence over the last few decades, but that doesn't disregard the unspeakable things done to our fellow humans, or the enjoyment gained by the countless others who reveled in their suffering.
(May 22, 2016 at 12:55 pm)Cato Wrote: Yeah, but we're making progress. I can't recall the last time I witnessed our species of primate throwing our own feces in order to exhibit displeasure. Had to be careful how I worded that as I believe there are still cow chip throwing contests.

Chimps throw feces. Humans pull out each others fingernails and cut out their eyes.
I would say society has improved over time, but unacceptable levels of violence still occurs and unfortunately probably always will. So no disagreement here.
Do you assume that all human beings are that way? Do you assume that everyone is that "stereotypical, dumb" human?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are the animals luckier than humans? TrueNorth 13 815 August 19, 2022 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Macoleco
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3131 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do humans have inherent value? Macoleco 39 2151 June 14, 2021 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Most Humans Do NOT Have Completely Frree Will Rhondazvous 57 5057 April 20, 2016 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Do Humans have a Natural State? Shining_Finger 13 2500 April 1, 2016 at 4:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  What could Redeem Humans? Shining_Finger 72 8957 December 6, 2015 at 10:01 am
Last Post: DespondentFishdeathMasochismo
  Do Humans Have Compulsary Will? Which best describes your take on 'will'? Whateverist 100 10969 June 11, 2015 at 8:29 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Moral law in Humans and other animals The Reality Salesman01 13 4043 February 28, 2015 at 1:32 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Humans BrokenQuill92 4 1258 January 22, 2014 at 5:59 am
Last Post: Odysseus
  On Humans, Universes, Gods, and Existence David Sims 7 2933 August 22, 2013 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Faith No More