Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:36 pm

Poll: Are you with Leibniz or Cicero?
This poll is closed.
Leibniz
28.57%
4 28.57%
Cicero
71.43%
10 71.43%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Are you with Leibniz or Cicero?
Are you with Leibniz or Cicero?
"Had we not the knowledge of the life to come, I believe there would be few persons who, being at the point of death, were not content to take up life again, on condition of passing through the same amount of good and evil, provided always that it were not the same kind: one would be content with variety, without requiring a better condition than that wherein one had been."
- Leibniz, Essays in Theodicy, Pt. 1, §14

"Nay, if some god should give me leave to return to infancy from my old age, to weep once more in my cradle, I should vehemently protest; for, truly, after I have run my race I have no wish to be recalled, as it were, from the goal to the starting-place. For what advantage has life - or, rather, what trouble does it not have?"
- Cicero (speaking through "Cato the Elder"), On Old Age, §23
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Are you with Leibniz or Cicero?
Been there, done that, finished. I go with Cicero.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
If these are the only two choices offered, I'd go with Cicero.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Interesting!
I'm still a Leibniz kind of guy, barely - who knows what I'll be in a few years time.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Cicero.
Life is the exploration of that which is new. That's why kids are so alive-- everything is new for them.

The problem with old age is one tends to put fresh new experiences right away into old worn-out conceptual boxes, without even bothering to experience them. But when moments automatically find their way to the right box without any chance of experience at all, then I'd say one has already given up on life, and little deserves it.

Bendracula will live forever, and will never stop finding ways to enjoy it!
Cicero.
(May 30, 2016 at 11:08 am)Alex K Wrote: Interesting!
I'm still a Leibniz kind of guy, barely - who knows what I'll be in a few years time.

And if your next life was one of those Ethiopian poster kids? The main problem with a 'redo'.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
(May 30, 2016 at 11:08 am)Alex K Wrote: Interesting!

If you ask me if I wanted to repeat my own life to avoid certain mistakes, some kind of erase and rewind, or some sort of restarting a video game. Yes, possibly. Same timeline, same family, same opportunities. But if it means rolling the dice, I'm certainly not in for the ride.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Same conditions, same outcome. Now if one were to retain full memories of this life, that would be different.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy