Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello
Hello,

It's nice to be here. As you can tell by my nic, I tend to take the alternate view of the majority on this forum. Hopefully that's tolerated. Intolerance, after all, is the hallmark of religious thinking.

When you think about it, the religious have to be intolerant; they can't defend what they believe. They want it to be logical, but it's not--it's religious. It's not supposed to be logical. I've often wondered why the religious can't be comfortable with their faith. That goes for all the religious-minded, atheist and theist alike. Wouldn't you agree?

I have a blog. Can I put it in my signature? All it consists of is the posts I make in forums like this one (and this is the only one I'm currently in). It's just for carrying on disscussions if someone wants to take it outside. It's really more of an archive.

Edward
RE: Hello
Welcome, newcomer! I hope you turn out to be one of the theists that can survive.

Quote:Hopefully that's tolerated. Intolerance after all is the hallmark of religious thinking.

It's tolerable. We aren't mean people.

Quote:When you think about it, the religious have to be intolerant; they can't defend what they believe. They want it to be logical, but it's not--it's religious. It's not supposed to be logical. I've often wondered why the religious can't be comfortable with their faith. That goes for all the religious-minded, atheist and theist alike. Wouldn't you agree?

You sound like an atheist...

P.S. I don't think atheists are "religious minded". At least, not the ones I've met.
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
Well, atheists that hang out in forums like this think about religion a lot. I imagine that is what our new friend meant by 'religious minded'. Welcome aboard, Edward. Theists of all kinds are welcome here. The discussions would get rather dry without a variety of input from different viewpoints.

You'll be fine, so long as you don't prove to be 'one of the crazy ones'. Even some of the nuttier ones end up sticking around and making friends with us heathens. *throws a water balloon at fr0d0*
*throws water balloon back at Paul*

(August 5, 2010 at 6:58 pm)Edward the Theist Wrote: When you think about it, the religious have to be intolerant; they can't defend what they believe. They want it to be logical, but it's not--it's religious. It's not supposed to be logical. I've often wondered why the religious can't be comfortable with their faith. That goes for all the religious-minded, atheist and theist alike. Wouldn't you agree?
So are you comfortable or necessarily intolerant?

Devil
Oh, hi.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
Well hello there. Welcome to the fold, erm, darkside, no fold.... Welcome! Thinking
Quote: I've often wondered why the religious can't be comfortable with their faith.

When you think about it, the religious have to be intolerant; they can't defend what they believe.

I think you answered your own question there, Ed.
(August 5, 2010 at 6:58 pm)Edward the Theist Wrote: When you think about it, the religious have to be intolerant; they can't defend what they believe.

Edward

So, can I safely assume we won't see you defending your theism here?

Also, you profess to be a theist, yet you continually refer to them as they, why don't you include yourself in that group?

Welcome, hope you find what it is you're looking for.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
Another theist for the sacrifice? I mean...

Welcome aboard!

As to your post, I think every theist has a different take on their own faith and what that faith means to them.
(August 5, 2010 at 7:13 pm)chasm Wrote: Welcome, newcomer! I hope you turn out to be one of the theists that can survive.

Oh really? What kills them off?

(August 5, 2010 at 7:40 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: You'll be fine, so long as you don't prove to be 'one of the crazy ones'.

See, now, that's one of those statements I'd like to take outside. I mean, what is "crazy"? Believing in God? Almost every human being on the planet believes in God.

(August 5, 2010 at 10:13 pm)Rhage Wrote: So, can I safely assume we won't see you defending your theism here?

I'd rather point out the absurdity of atheism. Actually, I'll bet in the end, you and I will agree. Where that end occurs or when, I don't know. But I think there's a better way than throwing out the baby with the bathwater, which is what most atheists do. They chuck out theism because they're upset with the Church.

Quote:Also, you profess to be a theist, yet you continually refer to them as they, why don't you include yourself in that group?

I'll bet I'm not like any theist you've ever encountered. And I think I should take a moment to lay a ground rule so no one gets offended. I'm not going to talk with the following types of atheists:

You-can't-prove-it types. These are the ones who have no intellect beyond the realization that nothing can be proved in this world with any certainty. So, they use that as their only debating technique. God(s) can't be proved, nor has the standard model of quantum mechanics been proved. I can't prove to you the sky is the same blue to me as it is to you. I can't prove we are not in a dream, and I can't prove you exist. So, why talk with that type?

You're Bible says... types. I can't defend Christianity and I won't. I can defend a lot of things Jesus Christ is supposed to have said, but I can't defend an institution like conservative right-wing Christianity. I am a theist of the highest order, but I am not a Christian. So, if I don't respond to posts like that, don't be surprised.

Insulter-types I don't insult anyone, and I'm not going to respond to people who insult me. Some people feel insulted because that's their thing--to go through life feeling insulted; some people pretend to be insulted to manipulate a theist into backing off a position. The fact is, I don't insult anyone, and if I think you feel insulted by what I say, I'm not going to continue the debate with you. Why?

Because I've been doing this for 16 years and I've had more blogs than I can count, more bans from Christian and atheist groups than I can count, and more knock-down-drag-outs than I can count. So, I'm not going to allow a string to heat up to the point where I get kicked out.

In exchange, I intend to obey all the rules of this forum to the best of my ability. It looks like a nice one.

See ya 'round.

Edward

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 6016 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3650 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates