Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Btonze Age?
Why Btonze Age?
We know that the different metal technologies didn’t hit everybody at the same time. While Israel’s “enemies” were well into their iron age. The desert tribes that later became Israel were not yet using iron, as seen in Judges 1:19,

Because of this disparity, Christian apologists feel they have a case against atheist who say that the writers of the Pentateuch were Bronze Age desert shepherds. They say the writers were of the Iron Age. To add to the confusion, scholars are now saying the books of Genesis and Exodus, were written after the Babylonian exile.

Questions:
1. What specific Bronze Age myths can be seen in the Old Testament?
2. Was Babylon heavily influenced by Bronze Age myths during the 6th century BCE, so when the Israelites were exiled there, that’s what they found?
3. What was Judaism based on before the Babylonian exile if there was no Pentateuch before then?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Why Btonze Age?
Modern archaeological research shows that the earliest beginnings of the regions which ultimately grew to be the states of "Israel" and "Judah" occurred during the Iron Age I period c 1200 BC.

When jesus freaks claim "bronze age" ancestry they are merely indulging their delusions.
(July 1, 2016 at 1:36 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Modern archaeological research shows that the earliest beginnings of the regions which ultimately grew to be the states of "Israel" and "Judah" occurred during the Iron Age I period c 1200 BC.

When jesus freaks claim "bronze age" ancestry they are merely indulging their delusions.

I think they came from the Goat Turd Age.
(July 1, 2016 at 1:43 pm)Gawdzilla Wrote: I think they came from the Goat Turd Age.

Good to know, I always thought it was the Goat fucking cage.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(July 1, 2016 at 1:36 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Modern archaeological research shows that the earliest beginnings of the regions which ultimately grew to be the states of "Israel" and "Judah" occurred during the Iron Age I period c 1200 BC.

Hold on, I got it from you and some others here that the old testament was written by a bunch of bronze age desert sheep fuckers or something to that effect. Christopher Hitchens said the same thing. It was a Christian who protested by saying they were in the iron age.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(July 1, 2016 at 2:01 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Christopher Hitchens said the same thing. It was a Christian who protested by saying they were in the iron age.

Christopher Hitchens was neither historian nor archeologist. So he was talking outside of his field of expertise. Apart from him dying in 2011, which is a pretty long span of time as far as research is concerned.
I don't get how Iron age or Bronze age makes a difference? Could you explain their case a little more?
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(July 1, 2016 at 2:09 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: I don't get how Iron age or Bronze age makes a difference? Could you explain their case a little more?

It pretty much boils down to weaponry. As is often the case with humanity. Iron gave you a literal edge over bronze. So Iron had an advantage. Not only in war, but also in terms of agriculture.
(July 1, 2016 at 2:15 pm)abaris Wrote:
(July 1, 2016 at 2:09 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: I don't get how Iron age or Bronze age makes a difference? Could you explain their case a little more?

It pretty much boils down to weaponry. As is often the case with humanity. Iron gave you a literal edge over bronze. So Iron had an advantage. Not only in war, but also in terms of agriculture.

Duh. But how is that an argument for the Christian's making the case that it reinforces the bible or a case against Atheism? That's what I'm asking.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(July 1, 2016 at 2:15 pm)abaris Wrote:

Whose weapons? Who had iron vs who had bronze? Was there iron vs bronze conflict in the dribble?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Golden Age of the Greeks Mudhammam 2 1011 March 26, 2015 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho