Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If free will was not real
If free will was not real
Those who disbelieved in free will would not post here.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: If free will was not real
Bullshit. I was either predetermined to post here or I wasn't. Either way ultimately the laws of the universe made me do it.

You're talking like a theist acting like we're beyond the laws of the universe!

Unless you are redefining free will to basically cover the willpower us humans already have that no one doubts anyway, like those silly compatabilists.
Are puppets free as long as they love their strings? Are we free simply because we have desires even if those desires are fully predetermined from prior causes before we were born or the human race or life even existed that stretches back to the beginning of time itself?
You made the choice to post here, thus you had the free will to post.

Too many people confuse free will with religious bullshit, when free will is just the free will to choose your own path.
~ Erin Hunter
If there is only one predetermined path fully determined by prior causes, how am I choosing my own path?
Libertarian/contra-causal/incompatabilist free will is like religious bullshit. The worst kind because it's an incoherent concept just like the most contradictory versions of gods are.

Compatabilist free will is trivially true but it must not be equivocated with ^^^the non-existent bullshit in this above paragraph^^^
How the fuck does "free will" mean predetermined?

That is what the fuck confuses me.

Explain it to me or realize that you have always been confused about what "free will" means.

I had the free will to post this.
~ Erin Hunter
(July 8, 2016 at 3:12 am)Maelstrom Wrote: How the fuck does "free will" mean predetermined?

I didn't say that at all. Reread what I actually said:

(July 8, 2016 at 3:10 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: If there is only one predetermined path fully determined by prior causes, how am I choosing my own path?
(July 8, 2016 at 3:14 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: If there is only one predetermined path fully determined by prior causes, how am I choosing my own path?

And how is that related to this thread?
~ Erin Hunter
Double post...
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hypothetically, science proves free will isn't real henryp 95 13332 July 12, 2016 at 7:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If Hell is Not Real Rayaan 36 16877 March 20, 2011 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: OnlyNatural