Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Something or nothing
Something or nothing
Cosmologists and physicists have calculated that the amount of matter and energy is matched by the amount of negative equivalents in the universe eg anti matter etc. So it could be that the net universe is nothing rather than something. Whilst there are a whole host of other defeaters for the cosmological argument, wouldn't this observation rather undermine any starting poistion for this argument as there was literally nothing for god to do?
RE: Something or nothing
*takes a look around*

Fairly certain there's something.
(August 14, 2010 at 6:29 pm)Watson Wrote: *takes a look around*

Fairly certain there's something.

Your in depth analysis and credentials are duly noted.
I don't know what you mean about credentials, but thank you. Big Grin
(August 14, 2010 at 6:38 pm)Watson Wrote: I don't know what you mean about credentials, but thank you. Big Grin
*takes a look around*

fairly certain there is no argument
I'm essentially saying that our perception quite clearly proves there is something rather than nothing. Who knows? Perhaps there is both nothing and something. I'm sure both can exist simultaneously.
(January 15, 1970 at 4:03 pm)Watsong968' Wrote: I'm essentially saying that our perception quite clearly proves there is something rather than nothing. Who knows? Perhaps there is both nothing and something. I'm sure both can exist simultaneously.
Nope the key word is net. The net universe. We clearly have matter and energy (after the universe started to inflate). But if you crunched it together there may be nothing. So no need for any magic incantations from the sky fairy king!

Who said anything about incantations?

Or God?

And please clarify to me how, if we crunched together a whole bunch of something, we would end up with nothing?
(August 14, 2010 at 6:58 pm)Watson Wrote: Who said anything about incantations?

Or God?

And please clarify to me how, if we crunched together a whole bunch of something, we would end up with nothing?

I opened this thread by arguing that if god started the universe he had nothing to do , so I did!

Are you aware of what happens when matter (something) and antimatter (something) meet? They anhilate to nothing. Can you run with that?
It seems to support it... God created and it will come to an end. Where do you get your information that the theological observance suggests an infinitely existing universe? In xtian theology God is eternal but the universe (creation) has a definite start and end.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Look! Nothing! YahwehIsTheWay 1 520 November 30, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Vatican Children's Hospital showcasing something besides excellence in child care vorlon13 14 3435 July 19, 2017 at 1:49 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Suppose I Did something Bad Rhondazvous 45 7931 October 17, 2015 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Something to think about dyresand 9 2216 August 26, 2015 at 3:18 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Miley Cyrus says something fairly coherent. Spooky 11 3026 June 15, 2015 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Perfect, Best of Possible, or Better than Nothing: Which criterion? Hatshepsut 35 6597 May 19, 2015 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  something interesting to read dyresand 22 6117 November 17, 2014 at 9:46 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Copy/paste image of "Something every Christian should hear" atheist04330 16 3328 August 6, 2014 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Ken Ham is finally good for something! Esquilax 27 3383 July 14, 2014 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn
  The Bible. All or nothing? Jacob(smooth) 36 9128 January 15, 2014 at 3:09 am
Last Post: Aractus