Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A grammatical question
A grammatical question
I don't have access right now to some of the sites I usually use for information about expressions, so I have to ask you all: Is there any difference between the expressions "turn someone down" and "let someone down"? And if yes, what is it? I know that the second one means "to disappoint someone" but I'm not sure what the first one means.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
RE: A grammatical question
To 'turn someone down' usually means to deny or decline a request from them, where as 'letting someone down' generally has the connotation that you mentioned, to disappoint someone.

Like if you asked me to go on a date, I say no, you could say "He turned me down." If I said yes, then failed to show up for the date, you might say "He really let me down."
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Yeah FatAndFaithless is right. Also turning someone down usually is in regards to things like dates or romantic situations.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
To turn someone down is to reject an offer, "No, I won't go to the prom with you."

To let someone down is to disappoint them, "Sorry, I never finished installing the escape ladders from the mine."
I see. Thank you for the answers. I didn't know that the first one is related to requests.
You can let yourself down, but you can't turn yourself down Big Grin
(August 16, 2016 at 11:13 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: You can let yourself down, but you can't turn yourself down Big Grin

I could turn myself down, if I had a clone of myself. Not that I would, though. Big Grin
One typically turns down offers, for example
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I chose to turn down the request in the OP. Sorry to let you down.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 16, 2016 at 11:13 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote: You can let yourself down, but you can't turn yourself down Big Grin

Of course you can.  How do you think I lost all that weight?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have a homosexual question and incest question? KingKong 39 8738 July 6, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: Amalynne0
  "Answer the Question with a Question" Game Rayaan 101 17274 August 14, 2012 at 6:28 am
Last Post: Rayaan