Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contradictory qualities - omniscience and fee will
Contradictory qualities - omniscience and fee will
If God exists, then he is free.
An omniscient being must know exactly what actions he will and will not do in the future.
If one knows that he will do an action, then it is impossible for him not to do it.
Hence, it is impossible for an omniscient being to be free
Therefore, it is impossible for God to exist
RE: Contradictory qualities - omniscience and fee will
Metaphysical free will makes no sense anyway really.

I guess an omniscient God can only be truly omniscient if the universe is assumed to be deterministic.

So if we do that, he knows the future exactly and what he will do and so he can't do anything else. So this makes metaphysical free will impossible for him (and I believe it's impossible in a deterministic universe anyway... and in an indeterministic one it may not be impossible but it completely lacks evidence.... undetermined does not equate to 'free will').

Compatabilist free will is still possible for him however. Since, because he's also (presumably) omnipotent as well as omniscient... he can't be put under duress or legitimately threatened or otherwise coerced into making decisions. So presumably he would have a definition of free will compatible with determinism (a definition that the comptatabilist's espouse) that would apply to him.
If God is all knowing and timeless : he always knows everything. His free choice is enacted in one moment to him, yet sequentially to us.
(August 17, 2010 at 6:37 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: If God is all knowing and timeless : he always knows everything. His free choice is enacted in one moment to him, yet sequentially to us.

This says nothing about omnipotence.

It says nothing about a lot of things that weren't asked for tavarish.
(August 20, 2010 at 2:34 am)fr0d0 Wrote: It says nothing about a lot of things that weren't asked for tavarish.

that's a "woops" on my part.

Reading > me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Could God's creation be like His omniscience? Whateverist 19 5982 May 18, 2017 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  How Free Will and Omniscience Works idunno 119 41674 September 10, 2012 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Angrboda