Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignorant Barbarians
Ignorant Barbarians
http://apnews.excite.com/article/2010081...NBDG1.html

Quote:A Saudi judge has asked several hospitals in the country whether they could damage a man's spinal cord as punishment after he was convicted of attacking another man with a cleaver and paralyzing him, the brother of the victim said Thursday.

Abdul-Aziz al-Mutairi, 22, was left paralyzed and subsequently lost a foot after a fight more than two years ago. He asked a judge in northwestern Tabuk province to impose an equivalent punishment on his attacker under Islamic law, his brother Khaled al-Mutairi told The Associated Press by telephone from Saudi Arabia.

He said one of the hospitals, located in Tabuk, responded that it is possible to damage the spinal cord, but it added that the operation would have to be done at another more specialized facility. Saudi newspapers reported that a second hospital in the capital Riyadh declined, saying it could not inflict such harm.
RE: Ignorant Barbarians
Well it is fair punishment but being fair is sometimes not the Right choice (right has in morally correct)
Any doctor, in any country, that would perform such a surgery should have his license revoked. What the fuck? Doctors are bound by the Hippocratic Oath and to inflict this injury would be directly going against that. What assholes.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
I don't know if the Hippocratic Oath counts in all countries. Don't quote me on that.

I've thought of castration as an appropriate punishment for rape, so I have had a tough time deciding a position on this issue. I mean, yea it sounds brutal and heinous, but then again this guy attacked another person with a cleaver and inflicted this damage on an unwilling person...his younger brother no less. Maybe mutiliation, especially to that extent, is not the right answer, but something closer to that line of thinking makes more sense to me than locking a person up for life to me.... I think the circumstances of the fight which I didn't see details of, would help the matter substantially, especially considering the culture this happened in.
My religion is the understanding of my world. My god is the energy that underlies it all. My worship is my constant endeavor to unravel the mysteries of my religion. Thinking
The old "an eye for an eye". What can we expect from muslims? :/
(August 19, 2010 at 9:52 pm)Shell B Wrote: I don't know if the Hippocratic Oath counts in all countries. Don't quote me on that.

There are hypocrites everywhere, dear. Especially when they wrap themselves in religion.

(August 19, 2010 at 9:57 pm)ABierman1986 Wrote: I've thought of castration as an appropriate punishment for rape,

It would be if we could be certain of the guilt of the person being punished. You can always let someone out of prison if they later turn out to have been wrongly convicted. This punishment, if applied to someone innocent, would be most unfortunate.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(August 19, 2010 at 10:11 pm)LastPoet Wrote: The old "an eye for an eye". What can we expect from muslims? :/

We'd have to change the old saying.

"a spine for a spine puts the whole world world in those little electric things that drive on the pavement"

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.