Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lee Strobel:
Lee Strobel:
I am reading this book that someone loaned me in an effort to get me to believe.

Has anyone else read this drivel?

I read one chapter- about how the myth of Jesus came before the others on resurrection and virgin births,therefore, because Jesus' was first, it must be real.

Huh?

It is called The Case For the Real Jesus.

By reading this I am only more convinced it is madness.

This is very very scary.
RE: Lee Strobel:
I read his book on creationism.
http://jesuspuzzle.humanists.net/ctvadvert.htm

Quote:Challenging the Verdict - A Cross-Examination of Lee Strobel's "The Case for Christ"

Do the Gospels hold up in Court?

Following on the success of The Jesus Puzzle, my second book, Challenging the Verdict, is a direct response to a bestseller in conservative Christian apologetics. This rebuttal is a revision and expansion of my earlier website book review of the same name, complete with Index. That book review has now been superseded. To read excerpts from the book, see below.

In the face of modern critical scholarship, which is steadily eroding the historical reliability of the Gospels and their presentation of Jesus, conservative writers have been making valiant attempts to reestablish confidence in the Christian record and doctrine. The most prominent of these, in popular exposure and commercial success, has been Lee Strobel, in his 1998 book The Case for Christ.

In that book, Lee Strobel, an ex-court journalist, conducts a series of 14 interviews with well-known conservative and evangelical scholars of the New Testament, such as Craig Blomberg, William Lane Craig and Gary Habermas, in an attempt to establish the reliability of the Gospel account and the truth of the Resurrection.

A collection of phonies if ever there was one - not to mention guys who make a fortune out of selling their bullshit books to religious idiots (you know the type). Stroebel's technique is akin to asking a room full of junkies if they like heroin.
That's the real world. Nutjobs and loonies walk the street freely, and are applauded and exalted by society and in the highest positions of power.

Question is, what are you going to do?
(August 21, 2010 at 2:35 am)lrh9 Wrote: That's the real world. Nutjobs and loonies walk the street freely, and are applauded and exalted by society and in the highest positions of power.

Question is, what are you going to do?

Your question implies 'ought'.

Inaction is the most popular choice for most human beings in matters which they think do not effect them directly.

What am I going to do? Nothing.When confronted with nutjobs, in-your-face theists and various other unwelcome intrusions, I walk away,or avoid them in advance if I can.

This may sound apathetic,which is misleading.I'm pragmatic, and acutely aware of the things over which I have influence and control. My days of satisfying but futile gestures are over.
(August 20, 2010 at 10:19 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: I read his book on creationism.

Oh, The Case for a Creator, I stopped reading after a few pages. It was when he talked about the mysteries of how life got started in the first place, then a few years after the book was published scientists had made artifical life.
undefined
(August 22, 2010 at 1:45 am)ziggystardust Wrote:
(August 20, 2010 at 10:19 pm)The_Flying_Skeptic Wrote: I read his book on creationism.

Oh, The Case for a Creator, I stopped reading after a few pages. It was when he talked about the mysteries of how life got started in the first place, then a few years after the book was published scientists had made artifical life.

HAHAHA!!! ROFLOL

That's rich.

Yes, I had to quit reading the book. His first step to convincing us is bringing in one professor who specializes in one myth (Mithridas). For about 1 whole page all he does is say how the guy is so smart, has a degree, publications, etc. ..Well so does my brother. Big whoop.

And so one small area of study will dispute all doubt?!

It is this that make me just flabberghasted.Are we as a people truly that gullible? I know we are. The studies on shocking (Milligan?) and the Princeton Prison studies show that if we are not on our toes all the time, we have a hard time seeing facts.

The recent US Health Care debate showed that. I dno't care what side you were on, the facts were just not there and those that were were so obfuscated there was no telling any truth.

I guess we just have to keep honing reason.