Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 6:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Victim Blaming?
Victim Blaming?
Can we as a society stop pretending that saying "You shouldn't get blackout wasted." is somehow victim blaming? I'm not saying if you get totally smashed you getting raped is your fault. However going out and getting blackout drunk does put yourself at risk. And not drinking to excess does minimize risk if you're aware of what's going on around you. That being said rape is no one's fault but the rapist. But let's stop pretending that telling people to drink responsibly is this awful thing.
RE: Victim Blaming?
um . . . .

we're plunging into a vat of 12 Steppers poo
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Agreed.

An ounce of prevention...is your responsibility. (talking about drinking related rape)
If you are going to move into a shady neighborhood, don't leave the doors open at night.

Rapists are like predatory animals looking for prey....if your the stumbling, sickly, weak looking one, who do you think they are going to target?

Never forget that the world has a thin veneer of civilization and in many places and people it's completely worn through....and people suffer for the ignorance thereof.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
(September 18, 2016 at 7:42 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Can we as a society stop pretending that saying "You shouldn't get blackout wasted." is somehow victim blaming? I'm not saying if you get totally smashed you getting raped is your fault. However going out and getting blackout drunk does put yourself at risk. And not drinking to excess does minimize risk if you're aware of what's going on around you. That being said rape is no one's fault but the rapist. But let's stop pretending that telling people to drink responsibly is this awful thing.

I've always heard nothing but good things coming from the advice of drinking responsibility, aka, PSA ads. Isn't that the entire point of those things? To advocate for being responsible if you drink.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(September 18, 2016 at 8:26 pm)Nymphadora Wrote:
(September 18, 2016 at 7:42 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Can we as a society stop pretending that saying "You shouldn't get blackout wasted." is somehow victim blaming? I'm not saying if you get totally smashed you getting raped is your fault. However going out and getting blackout drunk does put yourself at risk. And not drinking to excess does minimize risk if you're aware of what's going on around you. That being said rape is no one's fault but the rapist. But let's stop pretending that telling people to drink responsibly is this awful thing.

I've always heard nothing but good things coming from the advice of drinking responsibility, aka, PSA ads. Isn't that the entire point of those things? To advocate for being responsible if you drink.

Yeah it's just in a few of my feminist circles I've actually been shouted down with "I deserve to have a good time." and "I'll drink as much as I want to." Which I find utterly ridiculous. Having a good time shouldn't include drinking yourself unconscious.
Agreed. I never really saw the point of drinking like that to begin with. You end up bowing down to the porcelain goddess and you feel like shit the whole next day.

What kind of fun is that?
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(September 18, 2016 at 8:30 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:
(September 18, 2016 at 8:26 pm)Nymphadora Wrote: I've always heard nothing but good things coming from the advice of drinking responsibility, aka, PSA ads. Isn't that the entire point of those things? To advocate for being responsible if you drink.

Yeah it's just in a few of my feminist circles I've actually been shouted down with "I deserve to have a good time." and "I'll drink as much as I want to." Which I find utterly ridiculous. Having a good time shouldn't include drinking yourself unconscious.

While I agree that "don't get blackout drunk if you want to be able to protect yourself" is good advice, telling someone how to have a good time isn't. If someone finds blackout drunk to be a good time, who is anyone to tell them otherwise? 

You do you.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Victim Blaming?
(September 18, 2016 at 8:30 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:
(September 18, 2016 at 8:26 pm)Nymphadora Wrote: I've always heard nothing but good things coming from the advice of drinking responsibility, aka, PSA ads. Isn't that the entire point of those things? To advocate for being responsible if you drink.

Yeah, since when is it fun to drink until you black out? Why on earth would that be anyone's goal for their night? [emoji848]
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(September 18, 2016 at 8:48 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(September 18, 2016 at 8:30 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Yeah it's just in a few of my feminist circles I've actually been shouted down with "I deserve to have a good time." and "I'll drink as much as I want to." Which I find utterly ridiculous. Having a good time shouldn't include drinking yourself unconscious.

Yeah, since when is it fun to drink until you black out?   Why on earth would that be anyone's goal for their night?  [emoji848]

To forget.
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.
(September 18, 2016 at 8:46 pm)The_Empress Wrote:
(September 18, 2016 at 8:30 pm)BrokenQuill92 Wrote: Yeah it's just in a few of my feminist circles I've actually been shouted down with "I deserve to have a good time." and "I'll drink as much as I want to." Which I find utterly ridiculous. Having a good time shouldn't include drinking yourself unconscious.

While I agree that "don't get blackout drunk if you want to be able to protect yourself" is good advice, telling someone how to have a good time isn't. If someone finds blackout drunk to be a good time, who is anyone to tell them otherwise? 

You do you.
The problem is when you get black out drunk, you're incapable of doing you and you run the risk of someone else doing you. You've drank away your ability to say no.

You might want to get a "Don't touch me!" anti-rape bracelet from Sweden.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black People - Stop Blaming Racism, Take Responsibility Napoléon 227 25844 March 18, 2022 at 4:21 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Seven states bar people with a criminal record from receiving victim's compensation Angrboda 34 2244 September 23, 2018 at 5:16 am
Last Post: viocjit
  Not if the victim's White A Theist 40 10065 October 9, 2013 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Searching4truth
  To what extent is a rape victim responsible for the crime? Something completely different 81 22211 October 2, 2013 at 6:59 am
Last Post: Ben Davis