Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 11:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Do Catholics have most boring churches/ liturgy?
Do Catholics have most boring churches/ liturgy?
OK, frankly I don't know if you can rate how boring church masses are, but I've heard sometimes in documentaries that only Catholics have Marian visions because their mass is so dreadfully boring, that they are so desperate to bring any new even remotely invigorating, that they pilgrim to their neighbor's bathroom's door because they see in it's tree-rings so called virgin Mary.
Other thing I remember is from documentary "Jesus Camp" where that evangelical little girl explains (this is from transcript): God is not in every church, there is such a thing there… it has certain church… they call: "dead churches"… and people there, they sit there like this:
We worship you, God,
we worship you, God.
They sing like 3 songs and they listen to a sermon.

My guess is she was talking about Catholics, am I right? Then she continues: Churches are God likes to go to… Our churches are  jumping up and down, shouting His name…

It seems that other Christian denominations even feel kind of sorry for Catholics because they have boring mass. So which one is most boring? And compared to other religion's masses like Krishnas, Muslims, Satanists... I guess Satanists have most fun.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Do Catholics have most boring churches/ liturgy?
Yeah, I always saw Catholic mass as really boring from an outside perspective. I will give them some credit for that, though. At least by doing that they stick to their doctrine (even if there is much back-tracking lately). The typical Christian service I used to go to was just "feel-good Jesus time" with the intention of manipulating people through emotion. I can't respect that at all.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
I always admired the slick way they get to confess their sins and after a modicum of penance walk away free of guilt and regret.
I wouldn't be surprised to find out it isn't just boring but designed to break down the mind into a state of grim acceptance. You know, like adverts do.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I've attended catholic Mass in an old Benedictine monastery not too long ago, and the monks singing and all the mystique and architecture made it interesting in a Name of the Rose kind of way. But standard Mass is boring.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I finally quit going to Catholic mass as a young teen. Very boring and authoritarian. Sit,  kneel , stand. Then my parents switched to Pentecostalism. Way more exciting and way more stupid.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Personally I couldn't spot the difference between Catholic and Anglican services, though I suspect Orthodox services to be right up-there in the boredom stakes.
That said I know Baptist preachers will use pepper if anyone falls asleep whilst more reputable churches will let them rest.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
Not the snake handling sect. They know how to get their freak on.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Ehhh....except for the whole communion thing, what I saw of Catholic services reminded me a lot of Jewish services - a lot of standing/sitting or sitting/kneeling and half English half strange ancient language.

I should think an all English service would be more boring. At least with the Latin or Hebrew, I can test my language skills.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Judaism has a neat music tradition. I used to live in Tampa Bay and the local community radio station used to have a show called "Sunday Simcha (sp?)" for two hours and it was all Jewish/Yiddish type music. I just listened to the show for the first time since the early 90's (thanks, web), and I actually quite liked it. They kept using the term "klezmer". Not sure if that applies to all Jewish music or not.

I went to a bar mitzvah of a distant relative back in the '00s in Philadelphia, and went to synagogue, and it was kind of creepy. The chanting, and the movements. 

In Vermont, at my first college, I went with a teacher a few times to a priory. It was a pretty place. Very rustic. But the service was sterile. Even with all the monks in their rustic robes. It just about gave me a stroke. Some neat people, though.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Churches need to be taxed Foxaèr 12 647 July 16, 2020 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Why are church services usually boring? Der/die AtheistIn 28 3586 April 11, 2019 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Drich
  Montreal is taxing churches Foxaèr 4 674 June 23, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I Can Just Hear All Churches Shitting Bricks On This One Minimalist 40 7214 December 7, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Theists: What is the most compelling argument you have heard for Atheism? PETE_ROSE 455 101472 April 5, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  How many churches/mosques/temples do you see everyday? Casca 23 2916 October 25, 2016 at 11:38 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Bill Maher Says It. Tax the Fucking Churches! Minimalist 29 5446 April 20, 2016 at 4:36 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral Rhondazvous 24 7283 January 22, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  Catholics are victims of marriage equality (apparently) piterski123 76 10776 July 5, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Religious "nones" now outnumber Catholics in US nihilistcat 20 4414 May 25, 2015 at 1:37 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris