Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:46 am

Poll: What's your background?
This poll is closed.
I'm an ex-Christian, ex-Muslim, etc. now freethinker
52.63%
20 52.63%
I've never been part of any religion.
47.37%
18 47.37%
Total 38 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your background?
What's your background?
Poll for the non-believers here:

What's your background? Were you a Christian, Muslim, member of another religion once?
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: What's your background?
I was Catholic until I was around 12 or so, but we quit going to mass a couple years before that. At 12, I started to read things... and you know how that works.
(August 25, 2010 at 9:03 am)Paul the Human Wrote: I was Catholic until I was around 12 or so, but we quit going to mass a couple years before that. At 12, I started to read things... and you know how that works.

Thanks Paul. I've posted a poll to keep track. I've found the results are typically 80/20, with the majority being escapees from religion.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
I was a Christian until around 9, 10. Then I just found the whole idea ridiculous.
Catholic until confirmation age, which is about 13-14. When I found out confirmation was not just a tradition but about thinking for yourself, I did just that and refused to get confirmed. Couple years later I came to realize I'm an atheist.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I went through the motions as a good boy should in a RC school but I really never believed in any of the stuff they pastor and religious teachers taught. I even went into the church choir, until I was 13 or so, then I just stopped going to choir and church. A few months before that during a party, I don't remember what it was for, an uncle of mine got into an argument with an aunt about belief and religion and that was the first time I realized that I'm not the only one that doesn't buy that nonsense.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I was raised Lutheran, but I slowly stopped believing by the age of 14 or so. I still occasionally get dragged to Christmas or Easter services when my parents feel up to it.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
This is the short version:

Raised nominally Catholic, but fairly open-minded parents. Didn't go to mass often at all and by my teens we stopped going altogether (I don't want to go into details). In my teens I was basically an agnostic with deistic leanings.

Again, without getting into too many long-winded details, by my early 20s I was dealing with a lot of personal emotional insecurity and low self-esteem issues. I ended up in the Church of Christ. After a couple years, was kicked out of the Church of Christ, along with some other friends and we had a house church (we thought the Church of Christ was too liberal!). This lasted a couple years.

More complications in real life, and the house church folded and I was basically a sort of agnostic, but soon became attracted to mysticism (Pseudo-Dionysius, Eckhart, as well as moderns like Buber, Tillich, Merton, etc. and some eastern philosophy). During this time I went to a few churches: Greek Orthodox, Episcopal, Universal Unitarian and Quakers. Again, without going into details, I had various problems with all of them-- and with Christianity in general.

By 2000 (at the age of 30), my dissatisfaction and my doubts started to come to a head. By 2001, I had let it all go and I was surprised by how liberating it was for me-- something I had not expected.

So it ends up something like this:

Nominal Catholic >>> Agnostic/Deist >>> Church of Christ >>> house church uber-fundie >>> Agnostic >>> Greek Orthodoxy >>> Episcopalianism >>> UU >>> Quakers >>> Atheism

I get exhausted just thinking about it... This was not a casual affair for me-- I read volumes of theology and wrote hundreds of pages of personal notes trying to suss all this out for myself. It was a real headache of my own doing.

“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran
I was once a brainwashed catholic, but then I started to learn new things, real things.
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
I was a Baptist Christian until I started high school. That's when I left the church school I was going to and learned a whole lot of things about the real world and life. I've never looked back and never will.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell