Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still Conning The Jesus Freaks.....
Still Conning The Jesus Freaks.....
A cottage industry that's been going on since the 4th century.... and the silly-assed xtians lap it up.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/10/experts-...-are-fake/

Quote:Experts suspect new Dead Sea Scroll fragments are fake

Quote:
American Steve Green, the evangelical Christian heir to the Hobby Lobby craft chain fortune and the force behind the Museum of the Bible, an endeavor Newsweek covered earlier this year, has spent millions on the new finds. One fragment sold to the Southwestern  Baptist Theological Seminary conveniently refers to the biblical prohibition against homosexuality in the Book of Leviticus.

The problem is, experts suspect many of these sensational and pricy new fragments are expertly crafted fakes. For example, the fragment references passages in Leviticus 18 and 20 that contain the two strongest condemnations of homosexuality in the Bible. Such a strong coincidence is a flag of fakery.

“It is extremely unlikely that a small Dead Sea Scroll fragment would preserve text from both chapters” of Leviticus, says religion scholar Arstein Justnes, at University of Agder in Norway, who called the new fragments “amateurish” imitations that seem to have been copied from modern textbooks about the scrolls. “I think this fragment was produced for American evangelicals.”
RE: Still Conning The Jesus Freaks.....
Because poisoning the well works.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
Well,

some specific homo prohibitions from the Old Testament Leviticus doesn't really help modern era US evangelicals does it ??

If a few more fragments turned up about planting more than one kind of seed in a field is forbidden, or letting menstruating women or dwarves into church on Sunday (er, uh, um, Friday sunset to Saturday sunset, I guess) is a no-no, they wouldn't suddenly start observing ALL 600+ rules, strictures, edicts and pronouncements in Leviticus now would they ??

If they wanted the rest of us to know that scripture cherry picking is out of the playbook finally, they'd take out ads on TV saying as much, right ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Conning the Jesus Freaks is easy money. If I did not have a Yankee work ethic I would be rich as shit from ripping off those gullible sheep.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(October 18, 2016 at 9:05 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Well,

some specific homo prohibitions from the Old Testament Leviticus doesn't really help modern era US evangelicals does it ??

If a few more fragments turned up about planting more than one kind of seed in a field is forbidden, or letting menstruating women or dwarves into church on Sunday (er, uh, um, Friday sunset to Saturday sunset, I guess) is a no-no, they wouldn't suddenly start observing ALL 600+ rules, strictures, edicts and pronouncements in Leviticus now would they ??

If they wanted the rest of us to know that scripture cherry picking is out of the playbook finally, they'd take out ads on TV saying as much, right ?

....but isn't that Christmas??? Popcorn

edit* Crap that's elves...carry on.
Quote:some specific homo prohibitions from the Old Testament Leviticus doesn't really help modern era US evangelicals does it ??

Anything that makes the asswipes feel better is good for them.  They love to be conned.
But invoking even a single Old Testament prohibition  that is not specifically endorsed by Jesus in the New Testament would clearly mean ALL the Old Testament stuff is in to be obeyed again !!!

Babies can't be enumerated in the census till they're 3 months old because they're not human beings till then, we will have to destroying the shrimping fleet, and no more hybrid corn anymore, because it has to be produced in fields with 2 different kinds of seeds !!!!!

And there are 600 more rules like that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Panic Panic Panic Panic
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(October 18, 2016 at 10:10 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: But invoking even a single Old Testament prohibition  that is not specifically endorsed by Jesus in the New Testament would clearly mean ALL the Old Testament stuff is in to be obeyed again !!!

Babies can't be enumerated in the census till they're 3 months old because they're not human beings till then, we will have to destroying the shrimping fleet, and no more hybrid corn anymore, because it has to be produced in fields with 2 different kinds of seeds !!!!!

Panic Panic Panic Panic

Fuck that shit, I'm out.

[Image: bf3.gif]
(October 18, 2016 at 10:10 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: But invoking even a single Old Testament prohibition  that is not specifically endorsed by Jesus in the New Testament would clearly mean ALL the Old Testament stuff is in to be obeyed again !!!

Panic Panic Panic Panic

No, no, you've been here long enough to know that the assholes will claim you are reading that out of context.  Besides, the fuckers love shrimp.
If only someone wrote a book, or even made a movie titled "Killing Hercules" by Bill O'Reilly and then they distribute it on National Geographic Channel.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the Great Man approach to history still have use? FrustratedFool 45 2517 December 6, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  More for the Jesus Freaks to Whine About Minimalist 1 596 May 10, 2016 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist