Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12 years a slave
12 years a slave
Hello people of the Atheist Forum,

I am a 16-year-old sophomore who just so happens to be an atheist. I am 100% Japanese in terms of my ethnicity, but since I lived in the US (GA to be exact) for 4 years, I can speak and write English.

I came here to look for answers that couldn't be answered through YouTube videos, articles, or my own contemplation. As a teenager, I have many economical and intellectual restrictions that hinder me from getting books or thinking through issues thoroughly. I fully admit that I need a helping hand when thinking logically, and that is why I decided to join today.

I go to a Christian international school here in Japan which I joined when I was still a Christian 4 years ago. I love it there because of my friends. However, the education here is extremely biased (which I don't blame them for. It's a private school.) Topics like evolution have a disclaimer in the beginning where a teacher takes an entire class period to explain that it is "not something we believe in, and something you shouldn't either." We have a mandatory Bible class where extremely poor arguments for Christianity like, "God is necessary in our life. We can live without something that is necessary to life. We are alive. Therefore God exists", or the Junkyard Tornado/Kalam Cosmological argument is taught. Most of these arguments are easy to refute, and many people in my school are angry at me for doing that. However, like I said in the beginning, I need some help with other arguments and I decided that this was the perfect place to get that help.

Hopefully, I will enjoy it here!

EDIT: Thought I would put some of my interests here. 
My interests are:
- Softcore gaming:
I'm not that devoted to gaming, but I do enjoy titles like Halo and Elder Scrolls, and I have delved into their lore extensively.

- History
Especially World War II history. There are so many amazing books on it.

- Amateur writing and worldbuilding

- Reading
The A Song of Ice and Fire series is my favourite

- Watching snip-bits from TV shows so I don't have to pirate or spend money
Hannibal, Game of Thrones, and The Walking Dead are the shows that I do this to most frequently.
RE: 12 years a slave
Welcome
Welcome!
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Hey there, welcome! Thanks for telling us about yourself Smile

Evolution disclaimer. I like it. Hilarious! "Reality bothers us. It should bother you too. Parents produce identical offspring to themselves, everyone can see that. And magic and stuff. What, you think a bee can give birth to a leapord? How would that even work?"

Between the membership here there's a lot of expertise in many areas.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Welcome Herr von Kerpen!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome.

But why on earth did you choose the name of a 13th century grandmaster of the German knights orden as an alias?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(October 24, 2016 at 8:41 am)abaris Wrote: Welcome.

But why on earth did you choose the name of a 13th century grandmaster of the German knights orden as an alias?

Why did you choose abaris as an alias?
(October 24, 2016 at 8:42 am)Bella Morte Wrote: Why did you choose abaris as an alias?

That's actually from my pen and paper roleplaying days and I never bothered to use something different in over 30 years.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Interested in history and ASOIAF? We should get along well . Welcome!
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Well, it's been about four years. What's up all? Mudhammam 12 1209 July 15, 2021 at 10:36 am
Last Post: tackattack
  5 years of terrorism - I'm in a cult! Susan 21 1518 January 31, 2021 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Bug from catholic to antitheist in 30 years laikashuman 24 3128 June 20, 2014 at 11:33 am
Last Post: fr0d0
Tongue A lot of years wasted. Well, here I am now! All Knowing Hippie 14 3399 August 7, 2012 at 11:10 am
Last Post: Jeffonthenet