Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it?
Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it?
While my gut would like to answer in the affirmative, reason compels me to be skeptical about my intuition.  I'm curious about other peoples' thoughts on this? Do you think religion is peaceful? Does it ultimately hold us back from creating a peaceful world? Or, even without religion, would we still find ways to be hostile to one another? Can peace be obtained? What is your formula for peace?

RE: Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it?
If there were only one religion, perhaps it'd be peaceful ... until the first schism.

I don't think religion is a peaceful influence. I think there are peaceful people, pushy people, and people stupid enough to kill and die over unprovable ideas.

People will still find something to fight each other over.
Religions can be peaceful but as they are all human constructs they can be swayed by humans.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

As soon as a perfect symmetry among us all is broken, there will be jealousy and rage, and it will all come crumbling down. So long as we are capable of pettiness, we will find a way to ruin perfection. And if we are no longer capable of pettiness, then we aren't human-- such an angelic species might create a world of peace. But people never can.
Quote: “If you have two religions in your land, the two will cut each other’s throats; but if you have thirty religions, they will dwell in peace”

Voltaire

Of course no religions would be even better.
Why don't you ask is it possible for humanity to creaty a peaceful world, period?

Religion's just a tool like so many others to give the territorial chimp approach some higher meaning. There are many others. Nationalism maybe the most honest of all, since it doesn't really try to hide the fact of being a chimp not wanting to share with other groups.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(October 24, 2016 at 1:19 pm)abaris Wrote: Why don't you ask is it possible for humanity to creaty a peaceful world, period?

Religion's just a tool like so many others to give the territorial chimp approach some higher meaning. There are many others. Nationalism maybe the most honest of all, since it doesn't really try to hide the fact of being a chimp not wanting to share with other groups.

I was going to say this as soon as I read the topic title. Even if you eradicated religion we would not be in a "peaceful world." Nationalism is probably the root of most conflict; religious identity is just a part of it.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
No. History should answer that. 

Now change religion to lobotomy and I might have a different answer.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 24, 2016 at 1:41 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: No. History should answer that. 

If you're talking about nationalism, history gave a loud and resounding answer in the 20th century. It's hard to ignore the message.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 5295 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A timeless being cannot create mcc1789 125 11444 August 29, 2019 at 1:01 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 945 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2013 October 15, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is Humanity Ready for First Contact? Kernel Sohcahtoa 69 5423 October 16, 2016 at 6:17 am
Last Post: Athene
  If a supernatural intelligence did create the universe..... maestroanth 12 2045 April 20, 2016 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Secular Humanism and Humanity: What are they? Ignorant 80 22999 March 22, 2015 at 6:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Possible Worlds and Causal Closure Neo-Scholastic 2 887 March 28, 2014 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Who create God? Little Rik 95 21024 December 12, 2013 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Possible is not necessarily possible. Mystic 13 3388 August 22, 2013 at 9:37 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle