Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As a...
As a...
I saw a post on another site that talked about arguments that started with "As a <insert; woman/PoC/Christian/etc.>". They argued that such statements typically reveal the fragility of the their stance, and that if the position was true then it wouldn't need the identity credential. Frankly, I found it to be a convincing argument. Perhaps that's not exactly a surprise to some of you, given my opposition to IP. Now if someone is trying to introduce an opinion on something I'd say it could be a good opener, "here is who I am, and what I think about X". On matters of fact from fiction though, if we are interested in the truth, who we are -what we identify as- shouldn't matter one whit. 

Thoughts?
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
RE: As a...
If the opener establishes (professional) expertise, that's legit in my opinion.

"As a halal goat neuterer of 30 years, I can tell you that using sharp stones is less likely to kill the goat and gives you better results"
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

The OP's point though is that the truth doesn't change with qualifications about who you are. At best you can add them to add credibility to your statement, or at the very least to explain the origin of your worldview, but it's bad form to start with it.

The following is fine:

"I am a sheep herder. I think black holes are fascinating. I like to read about them in scientific literature."

The following is not:

"I am a sheep herder so I know a bit of life. None of that black holes nonsense . If I don't see it with my own eyes it's not true. Don't trust what those people tell you. They have vested interests to lie to you . . . "
You must be talking about what is easier and best in professional circles. In that sense, yes, I can imagine how revealing your area of expertise before making a crucial point that stems from your knowledge of that area would be well advised. That's not what the OP is talking about, though.
Eh I 've heard this argument before and I don't really buy it. I'm sure it is true at times. There are instances when it is completely irrelevant and pointless to establish that you are a X, Y or Z.

But there are times when one is simply providing context for their opinion - and that can change things a bit.
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

(November 14, 2016 at 4:42 am)operator Wrote: Eh I 've heard this argument before and I don't really buy it. I'm sure it is true at times. There are instances when it is completely irrelevant and pointless to establish that you are a X, Y or Z.

But there are times when one is simply providing context for their opinion - and that can change things a bit.

I kinda went out of my way to state that I find that totally acceptable.  Big Grin
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
(November 14, 2016 at 8:05 am)Bob Kelso Wrote:
(November 14, 2016 at 4:42 am)operator Wrote: Eh I 've heard this argument before and I don't really buy it. I'm sure it is true at times. There are instances when it is completely irrelevant and pointless to establish that you are a X, Y or Z.

I kinda went out of my way to state that I find that totally acceptable.  Big Grin

Okay...? What's your point?
“Love is the only bow on Life’s dark cloud. It is the morning and the evening star. It shines upon the babe, and sheds its radiance on the quiet tomb. It is the mother of art, inspirer of poet, patriot and philosopher.

It is the air and light of every heart – builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first to dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody – for music is the voice of love.

Love is the magician, the enchanter, that changes worthless things to Joy, and makes royal kings and queens of common clay. It is the perfume of that wondrous flower, the heart, and without that sacred passion, that divine swoon, we are less than beasts; but with it, earth is heaven, and we are gods.” - Robert. G. Ingersoll

As a person with a pointy thing in his trousers my points are always more to the point.

If I were a person with pointy things underneath my bra my points would be equally more to the point.
I recently noted in my many years at 12 Steppers I had heard and seen much in the way of self defeating behavior and strongly recognized such conduct in candidate Hillary.

Does me just piping in instead with a "I don't think Hillary wants to win very badly" carry the same gravitas as if I base the opinion on 30 years of watching people fuck up shit they are working on/towards ?

And WJC noting Obamacare was crazy a few days before the election I neglected mentioning, but it occurs to me now, Bill picked up on Hillary's lack of enthusiasm for winning and felt he had permission, therefore, to speak his mind about Obamacare.

I'm not the only one thinking Hillary threw the election then, or maybe more precisely, she wasn't 100% committed to winning. Shade that however you want. Looking back at the run up to 11/8, could a savvy secretary of state, former first lady with a ring side seat to watch Bill Clinton play the game at a world class level, even for a second forget "Dewey Defeats Truman" ??

She didn't forget "Dewey Defeats Truman", she was counting on it.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it.