Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unemployed
Unemployed
It has been over a month.

I refused to sign a write-up, due to it being false, and the manager said, "Then I have no choice but to terminate your employment."

I said, "Okay, I'll go home, then."

The situation that led to the write-up was obviously false.

Supposedly, a customer complained about me the night before. It was easy to recall the situation that took place, because it had happened only the night before. The write-up was false due to the fact that I had zero interaction with that particular customer.

In fact, the only interaction I had was with the cashier who approached me on behalf of the customer. He asked me a question to which I did not have the answer, due to the fact that it was a bakery question and I do not work in the bakery. Therefore, I found a supervisor to help him considering that the bakery people never work past two in the afternoon.

Oh, well, at least I had the satisfaction of knowing, from friends who stayed in contact with me, that they suffered for many weeks without me.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Unemployed
Just by way of coaching, I think you might need to sell your concern for the customer and make sure they know that hooking them up with the supervisor is the best you personally can do in the situation. I worked as a clerk at a Safeway store for seven years from my last years of high school, through my first couple years of junior college and then for a couple years of pure hedonism. Working with the public is draining but it helps to keep in mind how you would like to be helped - if you were less reasonable, had various axes to grind and were always in a bad mood. Assume they are fragile.

Also sorry for the hassle of this. Good luck on finding employment you enjoy more.
I got no clue what kind of worker protection the USA offers. Probably little. Our whole company is in pretty much the same situation, seeing as the boss is on the brink of selling his business. Which opens all kinds of can of wirms he might think to get away with. Laying off employees when a sale already is scheduled is illegal for starters. It doesn't help me much, since I'm only a contractor. But I take some kind of enjoyment from this asshole probably losing expensively at court.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Not enough details to make a comment other than you should probably look for a job that has little to no customer contact. I think you'll be happier. 

If I remember right, you don't think to highly of customers to begin with.  

Do you always find satisfaction in others suffering?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Given that you have a witness to the fact that you did not interact with the customer about whom you were written up, is there an avenue of appeal open to you?

From what you've said, it sounds like wrongful dismissal. Is there any reason you'd be put up like this?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
This is Florida, a right to work red state that does not give a shit about employee rights. The company is what matters.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Aren't all states "right to work" with the exception of Montana?
I encourage people I mentor to seek out a career in a profession, not merely a job. There is a difference. Doesn't sound like much of s loss other than inconveniencing you.
I hope you are able to find something that fits your interests and provides you income and personal satisfaction.
(November 15, 2016 at 4:54 pm)PETE_ROSE Wrote: I encourage people I mentor to seek out a career in a profession, not merely a job.  There is a difference.  Doesn't sound like much of s loss other than inconveniencing you.  

Sounds good in theory. But how many actually manage? I always wonder how many people actually have a career giving them satisfaction other than just being able to pay the bills. Personally I don't know anyone being so lucky.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Drich might be hiring.