Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling rule
Trolling rule
I think you need to remove it. It censors fee speech besides being wholly irrational and ultimately a way of silencing voices one disagrees with. Even if one could know for sure that someone is only pretending to hold some opinions in order to provoke and prompt discussion. . .  That is not a bad thing. That is a valuable thing. And even if it wasn't , you will never be able to know for sure if it's "trolling"  or not. 

What is trolling anyway ? It's subjective to define it. We all "troll"  to one degree or another sometimes. It's a spectrum , really. Why ban only some cases and not others ? 

I think it's too ambiguous. Thank you for hearing me out. I look forward to hearing others' opinions on this.
RE: Trolling rule
Last time I checked the definition of trolling was clearly and unambiguously laid out in the specific rule.
Our trolling rule used to be highly subjective, to the point where we could never really apply it. Which is why we redefined "trolling" and came up with some decent criteria for what constitutes trolling:
  • Making provocative posts.
  • Making posts that are unrelated / irrelevant to the thread or conversation subject.
  • Disrupting normal discussion.

Repeatedly doing any of the above is trolling, in our view. Yes, all people "troll" to one degree or another, but the point is, the rule applies to people who do it repeatedly. Making a few provocative posts isn't trolling; making provocative posts regularly is.
This is going to be a fun discussion, it looks like.

Fun fun fun...
Everything always is with you, EP.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(November 17, 2016 at 10:49 am)Tiberius Wrote: Our trolling rule used to be highly subjective, to the point where we could never really apply it. Which is why we redefined "trolling" and came up with some decent criteria for what constitutes trolling:
  • Making provocative posts.
  • Making posts that are unrelated / irrelevant to the thread or conversation subject.
  • Disrupting normal discussion.

Repeatedly doing any of the above is trolling, in our view. Yes, all people "troll" to one degree or another, but the point is, the rule applies to people who do it repeatedly. Making a few provocative posts isn't trolling; making provocative posts regularly is.

What is wrong with being provocative , Tib ? 

How do you define provocative ? 

How do you define disrupting discussion? 

How do you define irrelevancy or unrelatedness to subject?
I'm not being obtuse. I just hope you see my point here Smile
You say that like they haven't already considered those questions in depth before making the rule in the first place.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(November 17, 2016 at 10:52 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: What is wrong with being provocative , Tib ? 

The fact that purposefully annoying people / making people angry isn't productive to discussions.

Quote:How do you define provocative ? 

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define%3Aprovocative

Quote:How do you define disrupting discussion? 

An action that causes the flow of discussion to be disrupted in some way.

Quote:How do you define irrelevancy or unrelatedness to subject?

Bananas.
This is a discussion forum; not a disruption forum. That's why people like Edward John get banned.

You may think it's entirely subjective, EP, but then you're self-described solipsist, so you would think that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this trolling on my part? Catholic_Lady 27 3857 November 19, 2018 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Trolling CarveTheFive 40 3169 October 7, 2018 at 8:02 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Eliminate Automatic Insertion of Horizontal Rule Neo-Scholastic 21 3017 November 29, 2017 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Question about latest forum rule Catholic_Lady 29 4786 November 14, 2017 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Alternative to "click bait" rule: block threads robvalue 40 5969 February 6, 2017 at 1:38 am
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  R'lyeh rule Excited Penguin 54 5660 February 17, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Report System Abuse Rule Excited Penguin 20 3489 February 15, 2016 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  30/30 Rule Pyrrho 31 7997 February 22, 2015 at 2:21 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Suggested Rule Revelation777 197 39709 May 6, 2014 at 1:39 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Am I breaking a forum rule? Something completely different 2 2221 August 20, 2013 at 11:44 am
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus