Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOP/Cuba and anti/immigration/refugee crap
GOP/Cuba and anti/immigration/refugee crap
It is ABSOLUTELY true that, especially with older Cubans who escaped that they have a tendency to vote republican. I think that is understandable but wrong headed. I think they do that mostly because the escaped a country with no property rights, no free speech and no religious freedom. (No religious freedom, unless you are a religious person who supports Castro) Churches never left and are still in Cuba.

But if you surveyed all the Cubans in Florida you cannot tell me that all of them are here legally, especially kids whom were brought here. If you are a refugee and you support a party that says "GET THE FUCK OUT" you are supporting policy that goes against your own self interest.

Ted and Rubio and Haley and Jindel represent the worst hypocrisy in a country with a Statue in NY harbor that says "Bring me your tired huddled masses".

We've always been a nation if immigrants, and while it would be nice that people would wait in line, what separates us from closed states which are far more homogeneous like North Korea, it is absolutely bullshit to say someone with no paperwork automatically wants to be a violent criminal. 

Humans have always migrated to where they think the resources are. Most humans are NOT violent. And in any given country, friend and foe alike, that prison population is ALWAYS going to be a majority of people who live in that country.

I would rather deport our violent criminals who were born here than to turn away someone who simply wants to survive.
RE: GOP/Cuba and anti/immigration/refugee crap
Cubans have a special dispensation to live here legally...if they touch foot on American soil, they are allowed to stay.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(November 28, 2016 at 12:29 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Cubans have a special dispensation to live here legally...if they touch foot on American soil, they are allowed to stay.

As permanent residents or are they automatically granted citizenship?
(November 28, 2016 at 12:29 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Cubans have a special dispensation to live here legally...if they touch foot on American soil, they are allowed to stay.

Um that is assuming everyone makes it to shore. It is silly to assume that everyone from Cuba is here legally. And if we apply equal protection then anyone crossing any border that touches US soil should get the same treatment I think you are speaking in a general sense. I am quite sure many still get deported
(November 28, 2016 at 1:36 pm)Brian37 Wrote: It is silly to assume that everyone from Cuba is here legally.

You're not getting it. If a Cuban steps foot on American soil, he/she gets accelerated permanent resident processing and a path to citizenship. Essentially there is no such thing as a Cuban illegal immigrant.
(November 28, 2016 at 7:18 pm)Cato Wrote:
(November 28, 2016 at 1:36 pm)Brian37 Wrote: It is silly to assume that everyone from Cuba is here legally.

You're not getting it. If a Cuban steps foot on American soil, he/she gets accelerated permanent resident processing and a path to citizenship. Essentially there is no such thing as a Cuban illegal immigrant.

That's slightly unfair to everyone else, is it not?
(November 28, 2016 at 7:20 pm)Bella Morte Wrote: That's slightly unfair to everyone else, is it not?

I don't think so given the history and proximity. They're essentially political asylum seekers, not voluntary immigrants in the traditional sense.

Same as with GDR people before 1989 and Western Germany. Makes yo wonder what that says on American perception what Cuba actually represents. Obviously not the right perception but something on the lines of entitlement.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(November 28, 2016 at 7:22 pm)Cato Wrote:
(November 28, 2016 at 7:20 pm)Bella Morte Wrote: That's slightly unfair to everyone else, is it not?

I don't think so given the history and proximity. They're essentially political asylum seekers, not voluntary immigrants in the traditional sense.

Not to mention it's partially America's fault life was so unlivable in Cuba

Thou to be fair same could be said for most of south and central America
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(November 28, 2016 at 7:20 pm)Bella Morte Wrote:
(November 28, 2016 at 7:18 pm)Cato Wrote: You're not getting it. If a Cuban steps foot on American soil, he/she gets accelerated permanent resident processing and a path to citizenship. Essentially there is no such thing as a Cuban illegal immigrant.

That's slightly unfair to everyone else, is it not?

Irrelevant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_feet,_dry_feet_policy

Quote:The wet foot, dry foot policy is the name given to a consequence of the 1995 revision of the Cuban Adjustment Act of 1966 that essentially says that anyone who fled Cuba and entered the United States would be allowed to pursue residency a year later.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Absurd GOP Foxaèr 2098 128830 April 21, 2024 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  2024 GOP hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy proposes raising voting age to 25 LinuxGal 11 1016 August 20, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Anti-immigration..does Right wing still fools masses? WinterHold 106 4758 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Yet Another GOP Dumpster Fire Of A Human Being BrianSoddingBoru4 139 9993 July 23, 2022 at 4:20 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  So what is GOP's plan for the new wave of newborns? Fake Messiah 43 2818 June 30, 2022 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Are you Anti-Political? Disagreeable 52 2379 April 7, 2022 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Oracle
  What do you think about the immigration crisis? FlatAssembler 37 4230 February 21, 2022 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: highdimensionman
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1455 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  With All the Anti-QAnon Hate, How Come We Never Hear About Christian Zionism? Seax 21 1831 April 6, 2021 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Anti Cop Apologist Memes The Architect Of Fate 18 1977 June 26, 2020 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb