Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When is something "pretentious"?
When is something "pretentious"?
Hi,

As someone who enjoys reading, watching movies, etc, I wonder what gives someone the right to call a work "pretentious", be it a movie, book, etc. I believe there is some subjectivity to this. What may be pretentious for someone, may not be for the author or someone else. Now, I am not the elitist who believes only a very specific pool of books and movies can be called art, even excluding other mediums such as manga, videogames, anime, etc. I believe every medium has its own characteristics and can be called art by its own merits regardless of its form.

I just dont want to write something that will be called pretentious by the majority of people. Maybe by a few is acceptable though. Its not like I care what people say, but I just dont want to be treated like a naive kid writing a book.
RE: When is something "pretentious"?
Any publicity is good publicity
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Pretentiousness is underrated.
I'm on a behavioral diet. You're not making it easy for me.
(December 1, 2016 at 11:17 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Pretentiousness is underrated.

This actually makes sense.
Yup. What is labelled as "pretentious" is often actually ahead of its time. It's just some fuckers aren't ready yet.
I think pretentious can mean that one superficially uses certain language, techniques, other elements in one's work simply because they signal sophistication, but without really needing the fake complexity which this adds to the work to achieve ones goals, without appreciating what they actually mean or were invented for.

Example: if an unremarkable german or american small town restaurant issues menues exclusively in french in order to appear exclusive and generate the stylings of great parisian cuisine.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I think that's funny though Big Grin

I do this thing where I start using a word as soon as I learn it. Dropping it into convos even before I understand it. I do this so people can correct me so I have a better understanding when a mere dictionary definition doesn't help much. Big Grin
(December 1, 2016 at 11:13 pm)Macoleco Wrote: Hi,

As someone who enjoys reading, watching movies, etc, I wonder what gives someone the right to call a work "pretentious", be it a movie, book, etc. I believe there is some subjectivity to this. What may be pretentious for someone, may not be for the author or someone else. Now, I am not the elitist who believes only a very specific pool of books and movies can be called art, even excluding other mediums such as manga, videogames, anime, etc. I believe every medium has its own characteristics and can be called art by its own merits regardless of its form.

I just dont want to write something that will be called pretentious by the majority of people. Maybe by a few is acceptable though. Its not like I care what people say, but I just dont want to be treated like a naive kid writing a book.

I have been accused of being pretentious.
One time I remember was in a course and they were on about tastes and trying to relate it to some other concept, which I cant remember,  they went around the group asking for flavours I said umami https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami this was considered a pretentious "smart arse" answer.

Mostly when I am accused of pretentiousness it is because I am either trying to correct "fact" that someone has stated or I'm trying to be a bit out the box. I am a sponge for factoids.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Pretentious ?

Moi ???????
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I learned something I didn't know before today. Brian37 18 2704 January 16, 2018 at 7:26 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Something new I'm writing. Foxaèr 2 698 May 31, 2016 at 4:05 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  When does something qualify as Classic Rock? SteelCurtain 15 4365 January 29, 2014 at 8:56 pm
Last Post: null--69