Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refuting the historical accuracy of the Bible
Refuting the historical accuracy of the Bible
Does anyone know any good arguments for this?
Please click!

[Image: ch5l.gif]
RE: Refuting the historical accuracy of the Bible
Yes.

Unfortunately it will require reading actual books.

I suggest Finkelstein and Silberman's "The Bible Unearthed " and William Dever's " Who Were The Early Israelites and Where Did They Come From?" (Dever likes long titles.)

There is virtually no historical reality in the NT so I guess I'm assuming you mean the OT.

For immediate reference you can try this.

http://www.worldagesarchive.com/Referenc...ers%29.htm

Quote:The Davidic Empire, which archaeologists once thought as incontrovertible as the Roman, is now seen as an invention of Jerusalem-based priests in the seventh and eighth centuries B.C. who were eager to burnish their national history. The religion we call Judaism does not reach well back into the second millennium B.C. but appears to be, at most, a product of the mid-first.

Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Quote:The Davidic Empire, which archaeologists once thought as incontrovertible as the Roman, is now seen as an invention of Jerusalem-based priests in the seventh and eighth centuries B.C. who were eager to burnish their national history. The religion we call Judaism does not reach well back into the second millennium B.C. but appears to be, at most, a product of the mid-first.

How old is this quote?

Quote:Does anyone know any good arguments for this?

There isnt many. The Bible is being proven more and more as time goes. It wont be long untill the whole Bible, historically, is proven right...
Quote:There is virtually no historical reality in the NT so I guess I'm assuming you mean the OT.

says who?
To my knowledge most Biblical scholars consider the NT very useful to contrust the culture, anthropology and is considered how Christianity began.
Of course he went to Geneis 1 and 2! haha

these arguements this so called 'skeptic' uses are weak!

Then he goes to Noah! oh no Shock.

Tower of babel! His arguements are convincing me!

Then he moves to Moses. There is no evidence, yet.

Then he goes to the genealogy of Jesus.

Dont use those arguements, most of them are weak and lack of understanding of exegesis...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEeMT3lP4G8&feature=fvw
This is more accurate...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxkz_ygnd...re=channel
Its ok to have doubt, just dont let that doubt become the answers.

You dont hate God, you hate the church game.

"God is not what you imagine or what you think you understand. If you understand you have failed." Saint Augustine

Your mind works very simply: you are either trying to find out what are God's laws in order to follow them; or you are trying to outsmart Him. -Martin H. Fischer
Quote:How old is this quote?

The article is dated 2002. However it was 1988 when israel Finkelstein's groundbreaking study on Israelite settlement was released. Pretty much, only fundie morons still cling to the bible.

The shit hit the fan in Israel in 1999 when Ze'ev Herzog published an article in Haaretz that brought the issues which scholars had known for a decade to public light.

As for your two videos...I have to laugh.

The first repeats a load of bible bullshit and fails to note that we have exactly NO evidence for any sort of Davidic Empire. Oddly, the people who were conquered don't seem to know about it and we have no example of Judahite pottery or writing in any of these allegedly conquered territory. We do have the Tel Dan stele which was written by the king of Aram Damascus who did kick the shit out of of a combined force from the House of Omri ( what they called Israel) and the House of David (what they called Judah.) We have ZERO evidence for Solomon or any other king. Supposedly an Egyptian Pharaoh named Sheshonq I attacked Jerusalem but, oddly, when he wrote of his victories on the temple wall at Karnak he didn't even mention attacking the place. He did, however, aim at the wealthier areas to the north which was always the Egyptian interest. No one gave a flying fuck about Judah....a land of sheep and goat shit.

Your second video presents a bunch of holy joes ( remember my admonition above about "fundies!" ) maintaining that "Nazareth" was 3 miles from Sepphoris but there is no evidence that Nazareth existed in the early first century AD. Significalntly, the gospels never mention Sepphoris which seems a curious omission. The second guy who speaks makes one good point. The "earliest" and "best" references to your godboy are the 4 gospels but even they seem to be dated much later....and they were written anonymously. Most were apparently written by fairly well educated Greek speakers. All of this argues against composition by a bunch of illiterate shitkickers.

Quote:There isnt many. The Bible is being proven more and more as time goes. It wont be long untill the whole Bible, historically, is proven right...

Cite two proofs.

Let's leave aside that few reputable archeaologists or historians will claim X IS the case.At best,they will claim X seems to be the case/is probably the case/is most likely the case based on available evidence.

Within the last few decades,more and more evidence s being uncovered which debunks Biblical claims. My favourite is the current view that the Jewish exodus almost certainly did not happen,and that the person of Moses most probably did not exist..

Within only the last few few years evidence has been uncovered at Saqqara indicating Egypt did not not use slave labor to build the Pyramids.There is no evidence of a widespread slave culture in Egypt before the Greek Ptolemaic dynasty,founded 305 BCE, a thousand years after the last pyramid was built* as well as about the same time after the alleged exodus**.

The Torah is the mythology of a bronze age tribe of goat herders,and has limited credibility history.

The New Testament is the mythology of Christianity and has even less* (IE none).

--I will now wait for some ignoramus to cite Josephus or various post hoc Roman writers.

*the last royal pyramid in Egypt is believed to have been built in the C16th BCE at the latest.

**dates for the exodus vary wildly,from 1450 to 1250 BCE
Thanks, min, Deist and padraic.

@min: Would you happen to know if those books are available in the Philippines?
Please click!

Both are available from Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Bible-Unearthed-Ar...414&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Were-Early-Israeli...414&sr=1-5

and Amazon claims it ships to the Philippines. May cost a bit more and take longer but they will get there.

@min: Again, thanks.

Now all I need is to do is to formulate a plan on how to order something without my parents noticing.Big Grin
Please click!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Defend The Historical Jesus YahwehIsTheWay 21 2045 December 1, 2018 at 2:09 am
Last Post: Cherub786
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7587 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Refuting typical arguments dyresand 4 1436 February 9, 2016 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  historical merits of the bible? ignoramus 40 5457 June 30, 2014 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Three religions sign historical agreement Foxaèr 7 1460 March 18, 2014 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  Any Historical Sources That Dispute The Existence Of Jesus? Xavier 25 13391 January 22, 2012 at 12:24 am
Last Post: Cosmic Ape