Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:48 am

Poll: If the teenaged child you'd raised to hold the same religious views as yourself came to you and said they no longer shared those beliefs, how would you handle it?
This poll is closed.
C'est la vie; win some, lose some.
14.29%
1 14.29%
I'd respect their choice whether or not to attend customary religious activities or the atheist equivalent. (Is there one? Skepticism day camp?)
0%
0 0%
I'd try my best to understand what had changed in their thinking and to understand their new beliefs.
57.14%
4 57.14%
I would do my best to reason with them to dissuade them from leaving the beliefs they were raised in.
14.29%
1 14.29%
While they are my dependents I'd still expect them to participate in the culture of the family, including religiously themed activities or their skepticism themed alternative - if there is one.
0%
0 0%
I would not accept their decision and forbid them to speak of it.
0%
0 0%
I would throw them out of the house and have nothing more to do with them.
0%
0 0%
If their beliefs did not change by the time they were independent, I would likely have less to do with them than I would otherwise.
0%
0 0%
I would end them. If God/reason can't have them, neither will Satan/a cult.
0%
0 0%
Fuck all polls in the ass .. yada, yada, yada.
14.29%
1 14.29%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiccup
Hiccup
VOIDED in favor of a properly constructed poll here:  http://atheistforums.org/thread-46607-po...pid1463370
RE: Have we asked theists what they'd do if their kids turned out like us?
It depends on the individual. I've heard all sorts of responses from all sorts of people.
Oh crap, apparently I didn't allow for multiple answers and this is one that requires it. Maybe I'll try again and void this one?
My parents were only concerned for the fist 10 years or so. When they figured out I wouldn't go insane, wouldn't become a killer, or more weird than I all ready was, they let it go.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Hiccup
So which thread do you want us to comment on? lol I'm confused.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
Oh please, please, please do it in the other. If you could write any length comment as well it might help this one to sink over the horizon for good.
Don't look to me for help setting up a poll !!

OMFG !!!!     Panic Panic Panic Panic
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(December 5, 2016 at 7:15 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Don't look to me for help setting up a poll !!

OMFG !!!!     Panic Panic Panic Panic

What?  I heard you were good with poles.  Poles in holes.
I would crucify them upside down in an olive grove as a dire warning to anyone who would dare to question my religious freedom.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson