Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HI!
HI!
Hello,

Just thought I'd put a quick post here to introduce myself and just share a bit about my background, while I was never a "true" Christian I did have what could amount to being called a Christian upbringing or at least a Christian element to my life so thought this would be a good place to post instead of the introductions forum.

I'm 21, male and live in the south of England. I went to a Church of England primary school and had a christening (although im pretty sure this was just a way of my mum getting me into the school as it was rated well and more importantly the closest one to our house). We were / are far from a Christian family and never had a god/religion element to my home life. I enjoyed my time at the school, and despite being made to pray and sing every day, generally the view of god was a relaxed one and not forced upon us to heavily. I left the school not really knowing where I stood in relation to a creator and religion in general, we were told all the usual Christian stories, Noah, Adam and Eve blah blah blah...but I guess I left seeing these as more figurative than true to the word accounts.

I spent my teenage years not really thinking about where I was with the idea of a higher power, just spent my time being a teenager really, but in the last 4 years or so I have come to the conclusion that I the idea of a higher being, an all powerful, all knowing, conscious creator is absurd. I am an Atheist . Once I realised this is how I viewed things I then began to dissect how I felt on religion itself. Simply put I feel it's a load of crap. A dangerous load of crap that the world and it's people would be better off without.

Overall I feel lucky that while I did go to a religious school, it was a fairly laid back religious school teaching a religion that compared to some others (*cough* Islam *cough*) is a fairly easy one to walk away from in the context of it's beliefs and the culture it is a part of.

So yea, sorry it's rather long winded but once I got started it was hard to stop...... Hi!
RE: HI!
Welcome
Trudging through endless religion one step at a time.
Hello! I'm chasm... obviously. I don't know what else to say. :/
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
Welcome Skipper!
Welcome
Hey Skipper welcome to the forums
Interesting story, Skipper! I'm glad to here an atheist story where the background wasn't 'the church treated me like total shit and did terrible things to me', although it does make me wonder what led to your atheism. But perhaps that is for another time!

Welcome aboard, Big Grin
(September 8, 2010 at 7:21 pm)Watson Wrote: although it does make me wonder what led to your atheism.

He's not a deluded little wizardite like you.
Good for him.
It is very good for him. Now when are you going to let go of Magic Daddy and join us on the side that has standards?