Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forrest Gump
Forrest Gump
Great movie or greatest movie?
RE: Forrest Gump
Great movie, but not in my top pick by a mile.
It's definitely one of my favorites, and I only just recently saw it. I love the insight and the endearment of the character. Lovely movie.
Starship Troopers, (part one only) directed by Paul Verhoeven. A greatly underestimated film, ST is a cunning satire of fascism. ST part 2 is a third rate remake of 'Lost Patrol'. ST 3 is acceptable ,but still does not approach the first. (except for one element;the use of religion as a cynical means of social control)

Paul Verhoeven has made some excellent films,including Total Recall and the WW2 melodrama "Black Book",the most expensive and successful Dutch film made to date..Available on DVD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Book_(film)

Another favourite,which I've seen many times, is "Zulu" the somewhat fanciful account of The Battle Of Rorke's Drift, Natal, South Africa,1876. That battle resulted in the highest number of Victoria Crosses(like the US Medal Of Honour,but much rarer) ever awarded in a single engagement; ELEVEN. Available on DVD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zulu_(film)
I love Forrest Gump. My favorite? No. I would have a very hard time picking a favorite.
(September 8, 2010 at 9:29 pm)Watson Wrote: Great movie or greatest movie?

Great. It is an excellent example of why Tom Hanks is such an excellent actor and the movie itself a product of wonderful directing and writing that came together to make a movie that certainly deserves a place amongst the american classics.
Though it's not among my favorites, but I do really like the movie, but I've fallen out of caring about 'favorites' when talking about such things, particularly when some of my favorites don't do too well in the box office. (Many of my favorites have terrible ratings - like Event Horizon, Terminator 3, Terminator Salvation, the Matrix sequels, and others.)
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
It was certainly a great movie, but doesn't quite make my top ten. Maybe shortly after seeing it for the first time it would have, because it does have a powerful impact the first time you see it. Oddly, I haven't really liked anything else Tom Hanks has done. He's a good actor, yes... but most of his movies are not up my alley.

My favorite movie of all time is probably Natural Born Killers, but it's really hard to nail it down to one movie. Just saying that brings an entire list to mind.
It was a one-timer. Entertaining, but I wouldn't bother to watch it a second time.

Debbie does Dallas is my all time favorite.

I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Great movie. Very quotable.
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
Very good movie, but it was a one-timer for me as well. "Scarface" and "The Shawshank Redemption" are in my top 10. Here my list, or at least a quick attempt (in no order):

The Shawshank Redemption
Heat
Man on Fire
Scent of a Woman
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Scarface
Training Day
Fight Club
American Beauty

(Honorable mentions: American History X, The Empire Strikes Back, The Usual Suspects, Powder, Silence of the Lambs)
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---