Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The damage of "Reality TV" OP/ED
The damage of "Reality TV" OP/ED
Before anyone jumps to conclusions. There is nothing wrong with escapism that is what entertainment is. 

But it would be irresponsible to claim that marketing has no effect. If marketing anything, a product, a show, a religion, or a political party never worked, nobody would buy into them. 

I am not fond of our trend to quick edit media. I don't like shows like Survivor or Big Brother. Not because they exist, but the flood of them paints a picture of manipulation to win is a healthy form of competition. Sociopaths in a real psychological sense know how to appeal to many but it really is something more of society should be aware of. 

Everyone has their favorite flavor of escapism or mind rot, even me. But I think far too much of media is engaged in a rush for ratings and a cheap buck. There has to be a balance somewhere where where one can make money without turning real human psychology into cheap sensationalism.

Back in the late 80s or early 90s you had Morton Downy, the original Jerry Springer, Then Sally Jessy. Then "The Real World" On MTV and on and on. From an economic standpoint at a production level "Reality TV" is much cheaper, quicker than a stage with actors. But to say there isn't a social cost to all this I think is a mistake. 

Even garbage like the old Weekly World News back when it was in the checkout Isle, I rolled my eyes at "BAT BOY' articles.

I'm only arguing for more responsibility by media to make it more clear as to what is entertainment and what isn't. Reality shows are entertainment, but because the market themselves as "reality TV" the audience can buy into it far more than a movie. I know, I did it myself with one of the "Real World" characters.

Duck Dynasty hast to be the worst TV con among them. None of the kids grew up poor, all of them came from a well to do family. "Reality TV" is produced and scripted just like any movie. But that doesn't mean the reactions aren't real, it means what you see on TV is edited to tell a narrative, and DOES NOT represent all the video that ends up left on the hard drive  never used. Many of those who partake, are either aspiring actors, or someone looking to promote themselves for other reasons.

Someone I will not mention, in part, I do think is where they are at now in part by the marketing of quick emotional appeal. Maybe not all of it, no, but knowing my species fault in evolutionary gap filling, far too often than not, our species will cling to what feels good,  before they take the time to think things through.

We don't need more reality TV or more Dr Phil or more Judge Judy or more Jerry Springer or Kardashians. Just like we need less car adds screaming at you that you are going to miss out if you don't buy now.
RE: The damage of "Reality TV" OP/ED
I must admit reality TV is a guilty pleasure of mine. My favorite reality shows are the bachelor (and bachelor adjacent shows), survivor, and teen mom.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
So - change the channel?
Only becomes damage if you let it.

Now, it's the perfect time, go buy a car.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I can't stand reality TV. I don't get it at all. What is entertaining about watching people like stalkers? You know half of it is staged and fake... well more than half. At least sitcoms are funny. Sorry mini rant.

I do watch Pawn Stars and American Pickers but not because I like the reality part (how many times I have wanted to smack someone upside the head because they sold a family heirloom for $50 is way too high) but I like the history of the stuff brought in.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
(December 28, 2016 at 2:00 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: So - change the channel?

I think his point is that the same shit is on every channel.
Anyone who isn't skeptical about reality tv must be either young or unwise or something.

It's obvious that the shows are either completely fake, or that the situations are encouraged by producers to make it exciting to watch on a day to day basis.

It's probably soul destroying to watch TV with me because I watch it a lot of the time with the mind of a producer or editor.

I was watching some crime documentary in which a man goes around the world visiting gangs and at the end of one of them he starts walking off into the sunset across a bridge while the credits roll up.  A normal person might not think anything of that, but my mind is thinking where the fuck is he walking?  All he's going to do is turn back on himself to get back to where the film crew are after the shot is done or they're going to have to come and drive to pick him up.  For some reason I see it as an insult to my intelligence even a little thing like that because it's a lie.  He's not walking across a bridge to continue his mystical journey into the world of gangsters, he's probably just doing something a producer asked him to do to look a bit cool but is actually totally pointless.

I was watching LA ink or whatever that show's called and one of them comes in late for work and as they're waking up just before setting off to work the camera is filming them getting out of bed.  So either they leave a camera rolling all night like it's paranormal activity or it's set up and another stupid pointless obviously fake scene.

LA ink and that whole series, the shore series both English and American, pawn stars, there's too many to mention really but I don't trust a single one.

I'm pretty sensitive to ANYTHING like this though, even in a lot of American documentaries the voice over annoys the fuck out of me, it's some over dramatic, overly deep voice.  I just want to be spoke to like someone is having a conversation with me and informing me of something.

I think this is what makes Louis Theroux such a good documentary maker.  He seems very normal, puts effort and time into his film making, nothing seems forced at least from what I've seen.

I enjoyed that rant but as far as damage goes, I tend to just turn over if something annoys me.  Not much damage done.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(December 28, 2016 at 2:03 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Only becomes damage if you let it.

Now, it's the perfect time, go buy a car.

That is oversimplifying it. If you don't know that something is having an affect on you or why, it is very easy for it to have an affect on you. Just like teaching a kid a religion, selling it to them before they can formulate adult reasoning skills. To claim marketing is different in commercials than religion would be a mistake. Both employ appeals to emotion. 

You are right, it does not have to damage you, but if you are unaware of it, in the first place it can.

I didn't have the same reasoning skills as a kid that I do now. I did fall for marketing, from everything from Santa, to music, to even the type of cigarettes I started smoking at the age of 13. Back then I really thought, if I did this, or wore that, or had this or had that, my life would be better. 

Even with adults, you'd like to think everyone can think for themselves and marketing does not affect adults, but if that were true we would not have who we have about to take office. Marketing works like I said.
(December 28, 2016 at 2:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(December 28, 2016 at 2:00 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: So - change the channel?

I think his point is that the same shit is on every channel.

So shut the damn TV off and do something else. TV producers make shit that people want to watch in order to sell advertising. Fewer people watch, fewer shows like that will be made, problem solved.

Otherwise, it's just a pointless bitchfest that isn't going to amount to jack shit.
(December 28, 2016 at 2:24 pm)paulpablo Wrote: Anyone who isn't skeptical about reality tv must be either young or unwise or something.

It's obvious that the shows are either completely fake, or that the situations are encouraged by producers to make it exciting to watch on a day to day basis.

It's probably soul destroying to watch TV with me because I watch it a lot of the time with the mind of a producer or editor.

I was watching some crime documentary in which a man goes around the world visiting gangs and at the end of one of them he starts walking off into the sunset across a bridge while the credits roll up.  A normal person might not think anything of that, but my mind is thinking where the fuck is he walking?  All he's going to do is turn back on himself to get back to where the film crew are after the shot is done or they're going to have to come and drive to pick him up.  For some reason I see it as an insult to my intelligence even a little thing like that because it's a lie.  He's not walking across a bridge to continue his mystical journey into the world of gangsters, he's probably just doing something a producer asked him to do to look a bit cool but is actually totally pointless.

I was watching LA ink or whatever that show's called and one of them comes in late for work and as they're waking up just before setting off to work the camera is filming them getting out of bed.  So either they leave a camera rolling all night like it's paranormal activity or it's set up and another stupid pointless obviously fake scene.

LA ink and that whole series, the shore series both English and American, pawn stars, there's too many to mention really but I don't trust a single one.

I'm pretty sensitive to ANYTHING like this though, even in a lot of American documentaries the voice over annoys the fuck out of me, it's some over dramatic, overly deep voice.  I just want to be spoke to like someone is having a conversation with me and informing me of something.

I think this is what makes Louis Theroux such a good documentary maker.  He seems very normal, puts effort and time into his film making, nothing seems forced at least from what I've seen.

I enjoyed that rant but as far as damage goes, I tend to just turn over if something annoys me.  Not much damage done.

YES!! I feel you on all that. I don't know how many times I did the whole rant about them just waking up. My family hates watching reality tv with me. Or the HGTV channel or American Pickers... holy crap. How can we not know that when you film them walking in from the inside we know you set it up because the camera is already in the house!!! It wasn't a surprise drop in at all and those reactions are so fake.

(December 28, 2016 at 2:27 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote:
(December 28, 2016 at 2:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I think his point is that the same shit is on every channel.

So shut the damn TV off and do something else.  TV producers make shit that people want to watch in order to sell advertising.  Fewer people watch, fewer shows like that will be made, problem solved.

Otherwise, it's just a pointless bitchfest that isn't going to amount to jack shit.

None of our conversations on a random website will amount to jack shit.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ...the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow... Autumnlicious 0 1264 October 30, 2012 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Bush, Bible, Fossils, Evolution and Reality Edwardo Piet 5 2862 September 28, 2008 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: Tiberius