Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 5:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Unlikely Ally
An Unlikely Ally
in the bitching against the improperly named History Channel.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/12/gop-sen-...y-channel/

Quote:GOP Sen. Chuck Grassley rails against ‘no history’ History Channel

Quote:Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) railed against the History Channel’s original programming, on Thursday, suggesting “if you don’t like history” you should watch one of the channel’s top rated shows, “Pawn Stars.”

"History" said:

Quote:“Everything we do is History—from Pawn [Stars] and [American] Pickers, which are history one item at a time,” a History spokesperson told Lockwood.

Proving beyond any shadow of doubt that they would not know history if it came up and bit them on the ass.
RE: An Unlikely Ally
This channel is awful. Even their actual history shos suck. There were nothing but holiday specials on the other day, so we ended up onn the History Channel on a show about Caligula. A "historian" was talking about how he took drugs so he could eat more food. She said "it was like the opposite of a Vomitorium". My 9 year old daughter says "hey mom, she doesn't know what a vomitorium is!" so I asked her, what is it? I remembered it wasn't for vomiting, but couldn't remember what it WAS for. She said she thought it was part of their theaters, but couldn't remember which part. My husband thought it was the entry way to the baths. We looked it up, and it's the entry way to the theaters and amphitheaters. (So both were at least partly correct).

Point being, my 9 year old had more accurate historical knowledge than one of the shows "historians".
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
The worst thing I ever had the displeasure to watch was a so called documentary on Roland Freisler, president of Hitler's Volksgerichtshof. They played a speech and assigned it to him, but everyone having even a fleeting knowledge of the Third Reich knew the speech was by Hans Frank, governor of Poland. So either they didn't know better or they assumed noone would notice. I don't know what's worse.

But why should I be surprised. They also air the Olly Steed segments and sell them as history. I like to call them hystery channel.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Meh, I blame the general population for what the History Channel has become. They're a private broadcasting station, they need ratings. People like Pawn Stars and pseudo-history like Ancient Aliens more than actual history documentaries. Back when they had some great series on WWII, they got the nickname "Hitler Channel." What do you expect them to do?
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(December 30, 2016 at 4:48 pm)Aegon Wrote: Meh, I blame the general population for what the History Channel has become. They're a private broadcasting station, they need ratings. People like Pawn Stars and pseudo-history like Ancient Aliens more than actual history documentaries. Back when they had some great series on WWII, they got the nickname "Hitler Channel." What do you expect them to do?

Personally, I expect them to make the same kind of dreck that everyone else does.
(December 30, 2016 at 4:56 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Personally, I expect them to make the same kind of dreck that everyone else does.

For me it's a little more painful than that. I'm fully aware of the shit they're producing as opposed to other channels.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Ca'mon, Ancient Anglicans is great.

I will binge watch the war(s) related stuff but that's about it.

Oh, and my wedding ring is from Pawn Stars shop. Got to drunk haggle for it and everything. The guy was a dick!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.