Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016 Deaths You (Probably) Didn't Hear About
2016 Deaths You (Probably) Didn't Hear About
[I know I didn't. Shame on me.]

Perhaps it is simply a reflection of a culture that places a premium on show-biz celebrity. Not to denigrate in any wise the memory of the likes of Prince, Robin Williams, Carrie Fisher and so on, but how many of the following got comparable news coverage?

Vera Rubin (1928-2016) - Confirmed the existence of dark matter.

Roger Tsien (1952-2016) - Nobel laureate for his work with cancer cells and Alzheimer's Disease.

Ray Tomlinson (1941-2016) - Inventor of modern email.

Edgar Mitchell (1930-2016) - Sixth man to walk on the moon.

Marvin Minsky (1927-2016) - Pioneer of artificial intelligence.

Bob Paine (1933-2016) - Marine ecologist, founder of the idea of 'keystone species'.

Ahmed Zewail (1946-2016) - Nobel chemist who invented a method of capturing molecular motions on the scale of 1 femtosecond.

Susan Lindquist (1949-2016) - Discovered the fundamentals of protein folding.

And many other scientists, researchers, engineers, and technologists of all disciplines. Again, not belittling the other celebrities who died, but should the death of the woman who confirmed dark matter, or the man who invented email merit more 'in memoriam' coverage in the news than they got? Certainly at least as much as an actress or a comedian.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: 2016 Deaths You (Probably) Didn't Hear About
Of course as someone who values intellectual pursuits, I find this unfortunate, but I fear it will ever be so because it appears more people simple prefer to be entertained rather than put in the hard work required for those intellectual pursuits.
(December 30, 2016 at 9:16 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Of course as someone who values intellectual pursuits, I find this unfortunate, but I fear it will ever be so because it appears more people simple prefer to be entertained rather than put in the hard work required for those intellectual pursuits.

Solution: Ban entertainment!

Alternatively, we could do a better job educating people...I know, I know. Preposterous.
A Gemma is forever.
I did know about these, but only because I recently looked up a list of deaths this year. Otherwise, social media would not have kept me up to date on these.
(December 30, 2016 at 9:28 pm)Gemini Wrote: Alternatively, we could do a better job educating people...I know, I know. Preposterous.

It's a common and tired refrain on the Left that if you "educate" people, they will listen to more intellectual pursuits.

Some of the most intellectual people I've met can be rather anti-intellectual. Then there are those who just like stupid shit - they I can get along with, even if we do end up watching Nascar.

People, as a group, will always favor the entertaining over the abstract - probably because entertainment, by definition, entertains. No amount of smarts, book or street, defeats that.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(December 30, 2016 at 9:38 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: It's a common and tired refrain on the Left that if you "educate" people, they will listen to more intellectual pursuits.

Some of the most intellectual people I've met can be rather anti-intellectual. Then there are those who just like stupid shit - they I can get along with, even if we do end up watching Nascar.

People, as a group, will always favor the entertaining over the abstract - probably because entertainment, by definition, entertains. No amount of smarts, book or street, defeats that.

I'd compare the prevalence of anti-intellectualism among intellectuals to conservatism among atheists. Yeah, it exists. It's much less of a problem though.
A Gemma is forever.
That's only eight deaths.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Fuck, Vera Rubin died??! I wrote about her just recently.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

"Father Mulcahy" died.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No Trump didn't do anything barrysanders 27 915 March 22, 2024 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Well, that didn't last long...MyPillow guy fail. arewethereyet 4 700 November 13, 2022 at 1:04 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Earthquakes in Croatia - deaths caused by unregulated buildings? FlatAssembler 6 525 January 17, 2021 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  I didn’t do it out of hate. ... I did it out of love. brewer 2 464 January 10, 2021 at 10:30 am
Last Post: Divinity
  BREAKING: Trump suggests US over-reporting COVID deaths WinterHold 23 1951 November 2, 2020 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  More gun deaths zebo-the-fat 42 3600 September 6, 2019 at 10:20 am
Last Post: Vince
  Won't Hear From The WLB On This One Minimalist 4 528 September 19, 2018 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  This topic from 2016, proved true in 2018, read and do your part WinterHold 0 332 September 8, 2018 at 8:40 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Of Course You Didn't, Mike Minimalist 4 423 September 7, 2018 at 1:42 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Do You Hear The People Sing, Singing The Song of Angry Men Minimalist 11 1495 June 21, 2018 at 1:30 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd