Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:44 am

Poll: Atheists: Are the words "sin" ad "hell" trigger words to you?
This poll is closed.
Yes, although I never believed in such notions.
4.55%
1 4.55%
Yes, I used to believe and now that I don't, the prospect of such things is upsetting
13.64%
3 13.64%
No, I have never considered them to be trigger words
40.91%
9 40.91%
No, I used to be a believer but now that I'm not I don't have any sensitivity to these words
36.36%
8 36.36%
(This one's for Min) Fuck off
4.55%
1 4.55%
Total 22 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the words "Sin" and "Hell" a trigger to you Atheists?

Recently I read a Christian post stating that we consider these words to be "trigger words".
Aside from being dogmatically condescending, I'd have to say that personally, I agree with this person. The words and phrases sin and hell come hand in hand with other words 
that make my eyes twitch. Like molestation. Rape. Murder. Women belong in the kitchen. Women should be silent.  Women submit to your husbands. 

All of these words bear a negative connotation not in their meanings, but in their applications within my memories as a prior Christian. For instance my Dad, holding the bible in his hand bending his finger back painfully as he angrily pointed it onto the bible and told mom that god says she should submit to him and to "shut her fucking mouth", etc. Was he wrong? Not inherently although I highly doubt any Christian would rationalize such behavior. Hear no evil say no evil see no evil, right? Wrong. I saw. I heard. I'm speaking out, and yes it's a tad bit of a "trigger" to be reminded of the tenents that were the basis of the most fervent and distasteful memories in my mind.

If you talk about rape in front of a rape victim, and say "oh sorry I understand that the word 'rape' is a trigger word for you, but it's real and just part of life so you must accept it," --is that not unconsiderate and offensive? I suppose it's non sequiter, since in this instance "rape" isn't a deterrant or reasoning for eternal spiritual punishment. I would think that because of this, the words "sin" amd "hell" to the ears of someone who spent most of their lives believing in such things only to conclude that they were false fears, is worse than the word rape to a rape victim. 

So atheists do you consider the words sin and hell to be "trigger words", and also could you state whether or not you were a prior believer in sich beliefs?  
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
RE: Are the words "Sin" and "Hell" a trigger to you Atheists?
I was raised a Jehovah's Witness, and they teach that hell is just another word for the common grave of mankind. Which means that when you die, you cease to exist. No suffering. So hell is not a trigger word for me. I suppose that sin is not a trigger word because hell isn't.

I think that demons probably were a trigger for me for a while, because while I no longer believe in them the old tales still resonate in some part of my subconscious. I still get spooked by the dark, though I notice that it is less and less of a problem for me as time goes on. When I was a believer I don't think I could have spent a night alone in the house I live in now --nights alone in an apartment were bad enough-- but it isn't a problem for me now. Heck, I am finally able to watch horror movies again without feeling terrorized by the long shadows in the corridors. Smile
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Hell is just a curse word to me doesn't phase be at all. Sin makes me roll my eyes or laugh depending on who is saying it. Neither word really does anything to me in the long run.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
You can say it. Im the member being referred to here.

Though i wish the context of which I said that in had been posted, as I feel as though the way it is being presented here is a bit of a misrepresentation.

Anyhow, sorry if it was condecending and insulting to anyone. It was not my intention.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I don't get triggered by sin or hell no more than if someone told me that Santa is going to bring me a lump of coal for Christmas. It's just silly.
Definitely trigger words, although they do have one useful function: When used in the context of a threat or character slur they identify the person using them as uncivil and abusive, and deserving of no fucking mercy and no benefit of a doubt.

I take great pleasure in throwing the words back in the faces of such people, accompanied with suitable imagery designed specifically to put a personal face on the things they use to threaten others.
You should read fewer xtian posts, Luckie.
I'm not upset by it that deeply.  When I hear the word sin I just think it's talking about some rules that were there for a religious person to follow.  When I think of hell I think that'd be hot and overcrowded and I wouldn't like to go there.  Burning hurts and I imagine burning forever would get be boring and also painful at the same time after a few billion millenniums of burning.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Like I said in the thread in which this was brought up, the words themselves aren't triggers. The concepts when used by those who believe wholeheartedly in them, put forth as threats or judgements, are horrible.

My dad used to flippantly tell me I was going to hell, and when I asked what hell was, he would say that it was a place where I would be tortured in a fiery pit for eternity. All because I didn't want to go to church or because I went to homecoming with a black guy or because I disobeyed him and didn't clean my room, etc.

Obviously, it says more about him than anything else, but I grew up around more people who believed that viciousness than who didn't. They're pretty awful concepts to project onto people.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
No. Absent a theistic framework, those words are meaningless.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pride - the worst sin according to C.S.Lewis Duty 72 7318 February 25, 2023 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1914 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  People are not 'Going to Hell' - they're already in Hell. The Kreisel 22 2380 February 18, 2021 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11353 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4473 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2197 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  *trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems? PhilosophicalZebra 143 27063 December 27, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  I fear hell, and this article made things worse for me. What do you guys think? arda101 26 4689 February 5, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Autolite
  Why do atheists think Original Sin isn't real? ErGingerbreadMandude 34 6749 January 21, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Are the wlrds "Sin" and "Hell" a trigger to you Atheists? Mystical 8 1515 January 2, 2017 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Mystical