Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schiz Quiz
Schiz Quiz
Another quiz from my feed that I thought some might like. Answers appear at the bottom. If you're tired of these let me know.

Schizophrenia is a brain disorder that affects how people think, feel, and perceive. The hallmark symptom of schizophrenia is psychosis, such as experiencing auditory hallucinations (voices) and delusions (fixed false beliefs). Impaired cognition or a disturbance in information processing is an underappreciated symptom that interferes with day-to-day life.

How much do you know about schizophrenia? 

1.    Which of the following is accurate regarding schizophrenia?
A.   Most neuroimaging studies reveal many significant clinical differences between the brains of persons with the disorder and persons without it
B.   Immune function disruption has been associated with schizophrenia
C.   The vast majority of cases of schizophrenia have a known genetic basis
D.   Children born in summer months may be at greater risk of developing schizophrenia

2.    Which of the following is a frequent symptom of schizophrenia?
A.   High energy level
B.   Broad emotional range
C.   Heightened sensitivity to social cues and interactions
D.   Depression

3.    Which of the following is accurate concerning the complications of schizophrenia?
A.   Obsessive-compulsive symptoms in schizophrenia may be caused by antipsychotic medication
B.   Comorbid substance abuse is relatively rare (10%-20%) in patients with schizophrenia
C.   Most patients with schizophrenia are violent
D.   Although schizophrenia is linked with depression, it is not commonly linked with anxiety

4.    Which of the following is not a common side effect of antipsychotic medications?
A.   Tardive dyskinesia
B.   Weight loss
C.   Dystonia
D.   Parkinsonism

5.   Which of the following is accurate concerning current psychosocial treatment goals for people with schizophrenia?
A.   Treatment aims for complete remediation of symptoms
B.   Hospitalization is considered an unavoidable aspect of treatment
C.   Medications should be administered only by healthcare professionals
D.   Patients should be working or in school at least half-time

Answers

Question 1: B. Immune function is disturbed in schizophrenia. Overactivation of the immune system may result in overexpression of inflammatory cytokines and subsequent alteration of brain structure and function. Noticeable differences can be observed in the brains of some persons with schizophrenia and those without it (eg, decreased brain volume in medial temporal areas; changes in the hippocampus; reduced grey matter in the frontal, limbic, striatal, and thalamic regions). However, most neuroimaging studies show no significant clinical differences between the brains of persons with schizophrenia and those without.

The etiology of schizophrenia remains unknown. Although risk for schizophrenia is elevated in biologic relatives of affected individuals, and genome-wide association studies have identified many candidate genes, the implicated genes so far account for only a small fraction of schizophrenia cases. Schizophrenia is now believed to be the result of abnormalities in many genes, not just one. Concordance for schizophrenia is about 40%-50% for monozygotic (identical) twins.

For reasons that are still unclear, children born in the winter months may be at greater risk of developing the disorder.

Question 2: D. Although patients with schizophrenia may seem cheerful or sad in a way that is difficult to understand, depressed mood is a typical symptom. Neurocognitive deficits in schizophrenia (eg, in working memory and ability to organize) make it particularly difficult for patients to function in society. People with schizophrenia generally have trouble understanding the nuances and subtleties of social interaction. The depression experienced by patients with schizophrenia may account for the high lifetime rate of suicide, which is approximately 5%.
Symptoms of schizophrenia are divided into four domains: positive, negative, cognitive, and mood. Positive symptoms include hallucinations (usually auditory), delusions, and disorganized speech and behavior. The negative symptoms of schizophrenia include decrease in emotional range, poverty of speech, and loss of interests and drive.

Question 3: A. Numerous patients with schizophrenia display obsessive-compulsive symptoms. Some antipsychotic medications, particularly clozapine, may cause such symptoms. Comorbid substance abuse, particularly of alcohol and nicotine, is common in schizophrenia, occurring in 20%-70% of patients, although the reasons for this are not clear. For some patients, drugs provide relief from illness symptoms or the adverse effects of antipsychotic drugs. Substance abuse gives patients a dual diagnosis, making treatment of both disorders necessary and challenging.
Contrary to the public perception of schizophrenia, most people with the disorder are not violent. A few may act violently, sometimes as a result of command hallucinations or delusions, and the resulting publicity adds to the stigma of the disease. Schizophrenia is linked with both depression and anxiety. Anxiety may precede the diagnosis of schizophrenia by several years.

Question 4: B. Antipsychotic medications are a mainstay of treatment, together with psychological and psychosocial inputs. These medications diminish the positive symptoms of schizophrenia and prevent relapses. If they are stopped, about 80% of patients relapse within 1 year; only 20% relapse if treated.

However, patients tend not to be adherent to antipsychotic medications due to their serious side effects, which include akathisia, dystonia, hyperprolactinemia, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, parkinsonism, and tardive dyskinesia. In general, second-generation antipsychotic medications (eg, clozapine) produce these adverse effects less frequently than first-generation antipsychotics (eg, chlorpromazine). Most, but not all, antipsychotic medications produce anticholinergic effects, and some create QT interval prolongation. Weight gain is a frequent side effect, associated with altered glucose and lipid metabolism. The frequency of weight gain as a side effect is an important reason to promote exercise programs for patients on antipsychotic medication.

Question 5: D. Psychosocial treatment is an essential part of treatment. It includes numerous approaches, such as social skills training, cognitive-behavioral therapy, cognitive remediation, and social cognition training. Psychosocial treatment has been shown to be most effective when combined with medication. The psychosocial approach emphasizes functions over symptoms and is designed to allow the patient to feel part of society—a person and not just a patient.

Currently, psychosocial treatment is oriented to patient recovery and includes these goals:
·        Have few or stable symptoms
·        Avoid hospitalization
·        Manage own funds and medications
·        Work or attend school at least half-time
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Schiz Quiz
Thank you for this post and the information it contains it helps me to see what my "little girl" has gone through and how far she has come. As I read the post I could image the last eight years of her life. She was born with mental disabilities, then at the age of thirty she developed schizophrenia.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(January 30, 2017 at 3:00 am)Godschild Wrote: Thank you for this post and the information it contains it helps me to see what my "little girl" has gone through and how far she has come. As I read the post I could image the last eight years of her life. She was born with mental disabilities, then at the age of thirty she developed schizophrenia.

GC

My guess is that you need to change developed to diagnosed and that she went undiagnosed for years.
(January 30, 2017 at 6:45 am)mh.brewer Wrote:
(January 30, 2017 at 3:00 am)Godschild Wrote: Thank you for this post and the information it contains it helps me to see what my "little girl" has gone through and how far she has come. As I read the post I could image the last eight years of her life. She was born with mental disabilities, then at the age of thirty she developed schizophrenia.

GC

My guess is that you need to change developed to diagnosed and that she went undiagnosed for years.

She was diagnosed promptly, she became schizophrenic at the age of 30, sorry that doesn't set well with you but, that's what happened.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Well there are substances that can trigger schizophrenia in some people but I would have thought even then it would still be innate but just dormant.
Symptoms come on gradually and usually aren't apparent until young adulthood. It can be genetic or caused/aggravated by environmental factors.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
I've never heard of it being caused but certainly triggered.

Yes I'n being a pedant.

Feel free to ignore me.

Blush
(January 30, 2017 at 3:55 pm)Godschild Wrote:
(January 30, 2017 at 6:45 am)mh.brewer Wrote: My guess is that you need to change developed to diagnosed and that she went undiagnosed for years.

She was diagnosed promptly, she became schizophrenic at the age of 30, sorry that doesn't set well with you but, that's what happened.

GC

Thanks for getting all butt hurt over nothing. The person it's not sitting well with is you but I'm not sure I understand why. You're not to blame. 

Very rarely do people become schiz over night. It's an insidious disease and signs/symptoms can often be seen in the patients history going back years once the diagnosis is made. The fact that the people around them don't immediately notice is because the onset is so slow and gradual, they are not at fault any more than a medical person. 

If the onset and diagnosis occurred over a short period I'm hoping that the MD's have ruled out any other physical causes that are treatable.
(January 30, 2017 at 7:33 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(January 30, 2017 at 3:55 pm)Godschild Wrote: She was diagnosed promptly, she became schizophrenic at the age of 30, sorry that doesn't set well with you but, that's what happened.

GC

Thanks for getting all butt hurt over nothing. The person it's not sitting well with is you but I'm not sure I understand why. You're not to blame. 

Very rarely do people become schiz over night. It's an insidious disease and signs/symptoms can often be seen in the patients history going back years once the diagnosis is made. The fact that the people around them don't immediately notice is because the onset is so slow and gradual, they are not at fault any more than a medical person. 

If the onset and diagnosis occurred over a short period I'm hoping that the MD's have ruled out any other physical causes that are treatable.

I can only tell you about her earlier years by what I was told, she started being violent at the age of thirty. She has great medical care now we see to that. When I first replied to your post I was thanking you for insight insight into what she went through before she came to live with us, she certainly isn't capable of explaining things, her mental level in this area is about four to six years old at best. She has good doctors for her mental and physical needs.

GC