Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 7:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Call of Duty is returning to ‘traditional combat’
Call of Duty is returning to ‘traditional combat’
About time.

CoD went to shit when they introduced this futuristic jet pack nonsense. It also appears that a lot of people just bought IW purely for the MW remastered.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2...nal-combat

Quote:This should not come as an enormous surprise to fans of first-person shooters, but Activision is taking the Call of Duty series back to “its roots”.

In a conference call to investors on Thursday, the publisher’s chief executive, Eric Hirshberg, and chief operating officer, Thomas Tippl, both acknowledged that last year’s space-based Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare had commercially underperformed.

They promised that the 2017 instalment would return to “traditional combat” – a homely phrase which is likely to mean either a contemporary or historical setting.
RE: Call of Duty is returning to ‘traditional combat’
I haven't bought a CoD game since Black Ops. They lost me with all the advanced and future stuff.

But I haven't even used my Xbox in over 5 years, so...
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(February 11, 2017 at 10:03 am)Aegon Wrote: I haven't bought a CoD game since Black Ops. They lost me with all the advanced and future stuff.

But I haven't even used my Xbox in over 5 years, so...

I don't really blame you, they completely fucked up by introducing all that futuristic nonsense. Black Ops was definitely my favourite and I have fond memories from those days.

Rumours are that the next game might be based on the Vietnam war but we will just have to wait and see. They obviously won't do WW1 as that would be seen as copying BF and WW2 has already been covered.
I watch a lot of gameplay videos of games I like, like Halo and Overwatch. Every now and then, I'll watch a CoD gameplay, and all I see is a guy running around the map like crazy, shooting a guy a few times, and continuing on. There doesn't seem to be any strategic or tactical element, no map control element, and no instances of out-playing your opponent or vise versa.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(February 11, 2017 at 10:28 am)Exian Wrote: I watch a lot of gameplay videos of games I like, like Halo and Overwatch. Every now and then, I'll watch a CoD gameplay, and all I see is a guy running around the map like crazy, shooting a guy a few times, and continuing on. There doesn't seem to be any strategic or tactical element, no map control element, and no instances of out-playing your opponent or vise versa.

In other words, it's a cartoon dust cloud.

[Image: sarge_and_beetle_6625.jpg]

I don't really see the point, either.
I sold my playstation after playing call of duty and getting so angry I smashed the control pad through my tv screen.

At the time I was playing call of duty and it was one of the ones with the jetpacks and modern weapons, it took a while to get used although I did like those games

BUT

I have to say I did like call of duty world at war better. 

More gritty atmosphere, reminded me of saving private ryan.  LOVED the old school snipers, that feeling of picking someone off in some grimey wet battle field.  I loved that.

They would bring back the old school COD just after I sold my playstation.  I'd consider buying a second hand one and this new call of duty game just to constantly play on it possibly.

When I had world at war I only took it out of the playstation once to play on metal gear solid, the rest of the time I was solidly playing call of duty.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

For me, CoD will never get better than CoD2, mulitplayer LAN parties playing Carentan. Or Caen.

But Carentan is best map of all time.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
COD really started sucking once they went on this modern-futuristic streak. Haven't bought a COD game since Black Ops 2. I've been buying Battlefield since, 3, 4, and 1 are all superior to COD to me.
(February 11, 2017 at 4:52 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: For me, CoD will never get better than CoD2, mulitplayer LAN parties playing Carentan. Or Caen.

But Carentan is best map of all time.

I fucking agree 100%

I think ALL the Cod1 and 2 maps were just so much better than all the later CoD games. The maps made it for me in that game. I loved Cod1 and Cod2 was even better. And Caretan was always my favorite map too! But just many of the maps that rotated were all phenomenal in both Cod 1 and 2.

All the other CoD games.... I dunno games just don't seem the same anymore. I think developers all focus on graphics and cutscenes and milking people with more and more DLC.

I sound like a total grandpa but... I mean you can even see it with the Sims 4. You have to buy extra DLC stuff just to do stuff that could be done back in 2000 in the original Sims LOL... 17 years ago.

It's all graphics and DLC nowadays. And the single player is about tutorials that tell you waht buttons to press when you can work that out in 5 seconds yourself... and fucking cutscenes and super linear progression.

#rant

CoD2 was as good as a war FPS got for me.

I can't judge battlefield because I never played it though.

Medal of Honor European Assault was good... it seemed a bit Cod 1 or 2 like.

But CoD2 was my favorite online FPS of all time.

Oh... and the original Alien Versus Predator was fun online...but I dunno why but the second one wasn't as addictive.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Call of Cthulhu Joel 9 2569 March 28, 2013 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Joel
  I call bullshit. downbeatplumb 23 6226 April 10, 2012 at 1:39 am
Last Post: R-e-n-n-a-t