Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stalkers
Stalkers
I'm wondering how much info and via what methods can someone get out of you online.

I know this seems like a vague question, but let's say all that someone knows about you is your presence on a forum or chat site like this one.

You don't accept any emails from them or files of any kind you're just on the same forum/chat site as them.

To what lengths could someone stalk you, find out where you work, your car details and so on?

There's a high possability I'm being stalked, not from this forum though.  But that's why I'm asking. It's involving women and their crazy ex boyfriends.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: Stalkers
A local I know in this rural wasteland recognized postings I made on a pretty obscure message board as coming from me.

There is no way of knowing if, how, when, where or why someone might pick up on your actual victuals.

No way of proving it, but at another obscure, teeny tiny science message board I'm on I'm ~90% sure someone who was permabanned there was the same guy one of my sisters was introduced to by ChristianMingle. She never met or even got past the intro stage, but there were a stack of eerie similarities between both individuals, or at least in their descriptions of themselves. And the similarities were not on common characteristics. About the only way I could think of that they could have been different people was for both of them to have adopted the same fictional book or movie character persona, and it was a character I was unfamiliar with.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 18, 2017 at 9:41 pm)paulpablo Wrote: I'm wondering how much info and via what methods can someone get out of you online.

I know this seems like a vague question, but let's say all that someone knows about you is your presence on a forum or chat site like this one.

You don't accept any emails from them or files of any kind you're just on the same forum/chat site as them.

To what lengths could someone stalk you, find out where you work, your car details and so on?

There's a high possability I'm being stalked, not from this forum though.  But that's why I'm asking.  It's involving women and their crazy ex boyfriends.

How are they stalking you? Are you on facebook? It's pretty easy to stalk on facebook. When I get a girls number I'll search for it on facebook to find her profile lol, but I don't creepy about it. Anyway that's probably how they found you. You can search by many ways on facebook to find profiles as well. If you have ever posted your picture somewhere on a forum, you could possibly post it on facebook, and the facial recognition would allow you to find the person as well sometimes. Lock your facebook down to limit only friends.
(February 18, 2017 at 9:41 pm)paulpablo Wrote: I'm wondering how much info and via what methods can someone get out of you online.

There's a high possability I'm being stalked, not from this forum though.  But that's why I'm asking. It's involving women and their crazy ex boyfriends.

It can be done.

(February 18, 2017 at 11:12 pm)scoobysnack Wrote:

There's a high possability I'm being stalked, not from this forum though.  But that's why I'm asking.  It's involving women and their crazy ex boyfriends.

How are they stalking you? Are you on facebook? It's pretty easy to stalk on facebook. When I get a girls number I'll search for it on facebook to find her profile lol, but I don't creepy about it. Anyway that's probably how they found you. You can search by many ways on facebook to find profiles as well. If you have ever posted your picture somewhere on a forum, you could possibly post it on facebook, and the facial recognition would allow you to find the person as well sometimes. Lock your facebook down to limit only friends.

The best thing is that I have no facebook, myspace or any of that.  My name on that site isn't the same username as it is on other sites and I never put my last name anywhere online anyway.  I'm pretty sure my surname exists nowhere online.  There's no clear face picture of me on the site either.

I think it's actually the girl who should be more worried than me, he's been in trouble with the police with his previous girlfriend for stalking.  She's the main person being stalked.

For her it's the usual stuff like he calls her and cries down the phone, whenever she's in these chatrooms somehow he seems to know when and where and is always watching her.

All that's happened with me is he caught me on cam, I was sat in a dark room luckily and not properly upclose to the cam in any way.  He hasn't sent a message or anything but I think it's safe to say he's the obsessive type.

He knows I met her but as far as I can tell my only existence known to him is my existence via the ID I use on this one site.  I use it on my IMGflip profile too but I'm not concerned about him finding out about what memes I make.

What the girl was asking me was is it possible to have something on your computer where you can always see when they're online or whatever but I don't know about any of that.

I'll probably delete my profile off that site anyway that's not a huge issue for me.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

No one has a my space anymore lol.

Yeah it's possible. Unfortunately. It takes a lot of effort and commitment though meaning only the truly fucked up super creepy people are able to do it.
(February 18, 2017 at 11:32 pm)paulpablo Wrote:
(February 18, 2017 at 11:12 pm)scoobysnack Wrote: How are they stalking you? Are you on facebook? It's pretty easy to stalk on facebook. When I get a girls number I'll search for it on facebook to find her profile lol, but I don't creepy about it. Anyway that's probably how they found you. You can search by many ways on facebook to find profiles as well. If you have ever posted your picture somewhere on a forum, you could possibly post it on facebook, and the facial recognition would allow you to find the person as well sometimes. Lock your facebook down to limit only friends.

The best thing is that I have no facebook, myspace or any of that.  My name on that site isn't the same username as it is on other sites and I never put my last name anywhere online anyway.  I'm pretty sure my surname exists nowhere online.  There's no clear face picture of me on the site either.

I think it's actually the girl who should be more worried than me, he's been in trouble with the police with his previous girlfriend for stalking.  She's the main person being stalked.

For her it's the usual stuff like he calls her and cries down the phone, whenever she's in these chatrooms somehow he seems to know when and where and is always watching her.

All that's happened with me is he caught me on cam, I was sat in a dark room luckily and not properly upclose to the cam in any way.  He hasn't sent a message or anything but I think it's safe to say he's the obsessive type.

He knows I met her but as far as I can tell my only existence known to him is my existence via the ID I use on this one site.  I use it on my IMGflip profile too but I'm not concerned about him finding out about what memes I make.

What the girl was asking me was is it possible to have something on your computer where you can always see when they're online or whatever but I don't know about any of that.

I'll probably delete my profile off that site anyway that's not a huge issue for me.

He caught you on cam? Like the webcam on a laptop or something? If so, that's a serious stalker with knowledge to take steps to track you or her that most people wouldn't know about. If that's the case there are probably a lot of ways that I don't know about. Tracking your IP address, smart phone GPS location etc. That's scary!
(February 18, 2017 at 11:47 pm)scoobysnack Wrote:
(February 18, 2017 at 11:32 pm)paulpablo Wrote: The best thing is that I have no facebook, myspace or any of that.  My name on that site isn't the same username as it is on other sites and I never put my last name anywhere online anyway.  I'm pretty sure my surname exists nowhere online.  There's no clear face picture of me on the site either.

He caught you on cam? Like the webcam on a laptop or something? If so, that's a serious stalker with knowledge to take steps to track you or her that most people wouldn't know about. If that's the case there are probably a lot of ways that I don't know about. Tracking your IP address, smart phone GPS location etc. That's scary!

No I don't mean caught me on cam like I wasn't using the cam and he turned it on.

He hasn't stalked me that I'm aware of yet, just viewed my cam in a room where anyone can view my cam.

The girl who he's stalking doesn't seem worried about it but it just got me thinking about what the actual methods of hacking and tracking down people are.

A deranged ex-boyfriend is extremely unlikely to be able to do anything but search Google for your ID and see what pops up, and then hit it with a rock.  He's much more likely to barge into her house for make-up sex, then go through all her messages and e-mails while she's sleeping, than he is to properly hack her computer, collect your IP number and other personal info, and follow up. So unless you've shared real-life info with her, then 99.9% chance you have nothing to worry about.

If he had that ability, I would assume she'd have said, "My bf is a super-genius evil computer hacker!"  Has she said that?
No, and she doesn't know where I live or anything like that either.
I've pretty much stopped thinking about it. It was just a minute of paranoia I had there.