Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
City Builder/RTS Hybrid?
City Builder/RTS Hybrid?
I've been playing some various city building games lately, SimCity 4, SimCity 2013, and Cities Skyline. I've played around with Starcraft somewhat recently as well. I was wondering if there exists any hybrid games of these two genres. Like, you build a city and do all the economics and city planning and all that good stuff, but also have to put up like turrets and military structures and gather resources for your military, so that you can either defend or attack and stuff. The closest thing I've seen to this is Spore's civilization stage, but that focuses more on the RTS gaming and just has you plop buildings down in a preset area. That's quite boring, really. Is there a decent game that functions this way?
RE: City Builder/RTS Hybrid?
Yeah, I was going to mention Spore as well. The problem with Spore is that while it did a lot of things, it never did many of them well.
You may enjoy Rise of Nations.

It's by the creator of Civilization, Sid Meir, but it's an RTS.
My only offer would be Pharaoh, but that game is... Well... Ancient Tongue
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. For if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes unto you."
(February 24, 2017 at 5:05 pm)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: I've been playing some various city building games lately, SimCity 4, SimCity 2013, and Cities Skyline. I've played around with Starcraft somewhat recently as well. I was wondering if there exists any hybrid games of these two genres. Like, you build a city and do all the economics and city planning and all that good stuff, but also have to put up like turrets and military structures and gather resources for your military, so that you can either defend or attack and stuff. The closest thing I've seen to this is Spore's civilization stage, but that focuses more on the RTS gaming and just has you plop buildings down in a preset area. That's quite boring, really. Is there a decent game that functions this way?

The Total War series. You manage cities etc in turn based strategy, but the battles can be fought realtime (you can autoresolve, but managing your armies lowers casualties)

Rome: Total war is a nice starter and its fun with all the mods.
Rome total war should be real cheap this days with the add ons.
(February 27, 2017 at 1:40 pm)Jello Wrote: My only offer would be Pharaoh, but that game is... Well... Ancient Tongue

That is my favorite city builder of all time!!!
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Lords of the Realm 2.

Not very fancy, but quite enjoyable. Most of it is preset, though, but the fights can be done either "calculation" or RTS style.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
(February 27, 2017 at 3:11 pm)Aroura Wrote:
(February 27, 2017 at 1:40 pm)Jello Wrote: My only offer would be Pharaoh, but that game is... Well... Ancient Tongue

That is my favorite city builder of all time!!!

Mine too, but it doesn't work on windows 10 Sad
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. For if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes unto you."