Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:41 pm

Poll: Where does the idea of Shangri-La come from?
This poll is closed.
It's an ancient myth from Tibet or some other Eastern culture.
20.00%
4 20.00%
It's a fictional construct that came from a more western culture.
45.00%
9 45.00%
I have never heard of Shangri-La.
35.00%
7 35.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shangri-La
Shangri-La
I hate to break it to you, but you're part of a little experiment, if you answer this poll. For now, I'm going to make my explanation simple. I also have to ask that you please not google Shangri-La, if you intend to take part in the poll. All I want to know is where you think the idea of Shangri-La came from.
RE: Shangri-La
I'm taking a wild stab and betting its one of those western inventions like so-called "fortune cookies." I don't know tons about eastern culture (fairly well acquainted with philosophical Daoism, some Buddhism (mostly Zen), but I don't ever recall a place called Shangri-La being mentioned in any of my reading...
“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran
It was also the name of a WWII aircraft carrier.
Thanks, Entropist.

Indeed it was, Min.
Never heard of it.
I don't want to guess if I don't know the answer.
(September 19, 2010 at 1:46 am)Rayaan Wrote: Never heard of it.
I don't want to guess if I don't know the answer.

That's best. Thank you. Smile

Do we get to find out what we are guinea pigs for at some stage?

[Image: G4.jpg]
“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran
(September 19, 2010 at 2:00 am)Entropist Wrote: Do we get to find out what we are guinea pigs for at some stage?

When I'm done poking ya.

oo oo oo can I tell where it's from.. I love quizzes.. along with the point of this I think there's a hotel named shangri la.. I saw a special on it I think about some hotel way up in the mountains by air tram or by donkey. holy capitalizing on popular belief batman.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Isn't it some kinda wine? I dunno.

Tell me before I give in to Google.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]