Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
R'uh r'oh!! Corned beef brisket, St Paddy's Day and LENT !!
Yeppers.

St. Patrick's Day is on Friday, March 17 this year, and it's during LENT !!!!

A popular holiday treat/staple, brisket is also beef, and many observant Catholics buy into the fish on Friday's thing and eschew (other forms of) meat.

Todays' Omaha World Herald notes some dioceses are granting dispensations for parishioners to swap Friday and Saturday for their meat free day, others it's going to be  a no go.

Of course, it is all EXTREMELY silly, Jesus never mentioned brisket or Lent for that matter, so it's a another way for the poohbahs to poobahficate their poobahficantism.

I rather like brisket, although I'm watching my sodium these days.  I might splurge and get the pricey premade pre-sliced stuff at WalMart, just for the fun of it all.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Did you know that the Fillet-O-Fish was made to fill a need for Catholics that won't eat burgers during lent? That's right, it's a religious food.

Personally I love the motherfuckers even though I'm a Atheist. Extra tarter sauce for me.
RE: R'uh r'oh!! Corned beef brisket, St Paddy's Day and LENT !!
Oh!! But dear God in Heaven, HOLD THE FUCKING CHEESE !!!

(yeah, I'm one of those don't combine seafood and cheese types)
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

The cheese stays.
At least I came upon it honestly. I was at a relatives house and was served tuna noodle casserole, and there was melted cheese on top. Despite having that sort of dish at literally countless family, church and school functions before, on that day it hit me the combo of cheese and tuna was thoroughly off putting.

About the only item I've encountered since that was acceptable was the fake krab and cheese crap at the Chinese buffet. I think the paucity of actual crab (and the mostly TVP) content allows for the cheese to be Ok in that dish.

(March 2, 2017 at 11:46 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Oh!!  But dear God in Heaven, HOLD THE FUCKING CHEESE !!!

(yeah, I'm one of those don't combine seafood and cheese types)

One does not simply hold the cheese.

I had no idea you ate Kosher, vorlon. Tongue
I dreamt about CB&C and fiddler crabs last night.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
All the tourists to San Diego seem to want to find the best fish tacos. I'm 41 and had my first fish taco a few months ago and am addicted now. I'd be a happy lent observer.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Fish tacos are the bomb.

It occurs to me that the filet o fish should be awful - square "fish" of questionable provenance, American "cheese", craptacular cheap white bread bun... yet it isn't. I have no idea what that means, but now I'm wondering whether or not McD's in Mexico have them - there's one a couple walking miles away. I doubt it.
When St. Patrick's Day falls on a Friday the Church in many places usually removes the obligation to abstain from meat for that day.

I find the Church's practices on fasting and abstinence during lent to be totally absurd. Did you know that eating meat on a Friday in Lent or not fasting on Good Friday or Ash Wednesday is a mortal sin that will by itself send you to Hell under Catholic teaching? Imagine what that conversation in Hell might be like:

Damned Soul 1: "So What are you in for?"
Damned Soul 2: "Rape and murder primarily, you?"
Damned Soul 1: "Ate a ham sandwich on a Friday in Lent."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus. A Day Late and a Dollar Short Minimalist 20 4403 April 24, 2017 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  NASA and the missing day Mudhammam 45 9622 January 24, 2015 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Lent dr_jpeg 38 10725 March 7, 2014 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.