Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Airfix Models (And Others!)
Airfix Models (And Others!)
This is just kinda curiosity thread about whether anyone else around here makes airfix models (Or for that matter, any of the other plastic model type stuff from other companies like Revell or Tamiya or whoever), and whether any of those that do have any recommendations for models to make. 

I'm recently getting back into making models, i used to make a bunch with my dad when i was way, way younger, not that many have survived, particularly no high quality ones, and i may well make this into a thread where i post pictures of said models when i get anywhere with them Big Grin
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. For if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes unto you."
RE: Airfix Models (And Others!)
Not much help here. I made models for two reasons:

1. Toluene (models was the excuse). This faded fast, after headache not worth it. 
2. Stuff to blow up, real good.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 10, 2017 at 7:06 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Not much help here. I made models for two reasons:

1. Toluene (models was the excuse). This faded fast, after headache not worth it. 
2. Stuff to blow up, real good.

Fair enough, i guess :Tongue

I just like having something to display, really, and i liked making them with my dad.

In other model related news: 

So, i ordered a Zerstorer 1936 class model, and some glue. The glue arrived yesterday and the model doesn't get here till tuesday, so i'm going to cry.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. For if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes unto you."
I used to try to make models like this, but my hands are too clumsy for the little pieces and details. I always make a mess of it.
(March 10, 2017 at 8:29 pm)Jesster Wrote: I used to try to make models like this, but my hands are too clumsy for the little pieces and details. I always make a mess of it.

That's kinda why i'm going for the larger scale models 

(The Zerstorer i got coming in is a 1:350 scale, so nothing on it is too tiny.)
I made a huge 12:1 scale of a (surprise surprise) 71 mustang Mach1 when I was very young.. (No idea what happened to it or cared since discovering girls!)

I actually have fond memories of the 4 weeks it took to make...
I find it therapeutic even though my tongue was sticking out the whole time!
(The wife tells me I stick my tongue out when I'm concentrating!) No dirty jokes please!

So then I grew up, bought the 1:1 scale model, got nostalgic and 30 years later I managed to find a NOS ( new old stock) of exactly the same plastic model. I had so much fun again! This time with a lot more attention to detail!

I'll post a pic when I get home...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(March 10, 2017 at 9:05 pm)ignoramus Wrote: I made a huge 12:1 scale of a (surprise surprise) 71 mustang Mach1 when I was very young.. (No idea what happened to it or cared since discovering girls!)

I actually have fond memories of the 4 weeks it took to make...
I find it therapeutic even though my tongue was sticking out the whole time!
(The wife tells me I stick my tongue out when I'm concentrating!) No dirty jokes please!

So then I grew up, bought the 1:1 scale model, got nostalgic and 30 years later I managed to find a NOS ( new old stock) of exactly the same plastic model. I had so much fun again! This time with a lot more attention to detail!

I'll post a pic when I get home...

That's pretty darn cool sounding, i'd love to see that Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Role Models Ahriman 79 4941 September 13, 2021 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  The "good guys" - models of kindness and tolerance onlinebiker 26 1731 November 9, 2018 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Your perception of others Foxaèr 16 904 September 8, 2018 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Minimilist and others...can you recommend books? Mystic 5 635 April 17, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Enjoyment from watching others get hurt, and sociopathy Catholic_Lady 106 10828 November 29, 2017 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Do you care about your significant others sexual past with a poll. paulpablo 63 9556 May 3, 2015 at 11:38 am
Last Post: c172
  role models DramaQueen 11 1269 November 8, 2014 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: abaris
  Some Days, the Urge To Move Is Stronger Than Others thesummerqueen 33 8181 February 22, 2012 at 4:48 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko