Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The effects of long term stress on everyday functionality
The effects of long term stress on everyday functionality
I've been noticing more and more of lately that I've been making mistakes in everyday things, such as written grammar and speech. My last vacation from work was in 2008, so I'm thinking the stress of that is starting to built up and it's hitting a bursting point. Since where I work it's not safe to ask for any of your PTO hours. How can I solve this issue without risking asking for some time off?
     “A man isn't tiny or giant enough to defeat anything” Yukio Mishima

RE: The effects of long term stress on everyday functionality
I'm retired.  What is this stress of which you speak?
No vacation since 2008? That's not good.

I think what you need is to work somewhere healthier, ASAP.
It pays the bills I can generally able handle it. Just of lately I've been noticing more errors in my handling of social skills. It does have it benefits, I get the shift I want, and I'm a go to person for a lot of things. The entire management team, even the head manager knows I've not had an additional brake since 2008. Maybe it is, maybe it is not the cause for the stress. I'm not just comfortable with risking anything by asking for even an additional day off. "Don't rock the boat if it's smooth sailing right? I'm worried about even asking for one additional day off will rock the boat and throw me in the water.
     “A man isn't tiny or giant enough to defeat anything” Yukio Mishima

(March 11, 2017 at 2:20 am)Sterben Wrote: I'm worried about even asking for one additional day off will rock the boat and throw me in the water.

What? I'm aware that the US isn't exactly primus when it comes to workplace regulations or workers rights, but isn't there at least some vaccation time granted? Or can they simply give you the boot for executing your rights without consequence?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Tell the people at work, 'I SWEAR TO FUCKING GOD, THE NEXT PERSON WHO ACCUSES ME OF BEING STRESSED OUT IS GETTING STABBED IN BOTH EYES!!' Then sit on the floor, suck your thumb, and soil yourself.

I imagine they'll approve you some time off work.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 11, 2017 at 12:58 am)Sterben Wrote: I've been noticing more and more of lately that I've been making mistakes in everyday things, such as written grammar and speech. My last vacation from work was in 2008, so I'm thinking the stress of that is starting to built up and it's hitting a bursting point. Since where I work it's not safe to ask for any of your PTO hours. How can I solve this issue without risking asking for some time off?

When my mum was dying almost everything I did was wrong at work no matter how hard I tried to concentrate.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(March 11, 2017 at 12:58 am)Sterben Wrote: I've been noticing more and more of lately that I've been making mistakes in everyday things, such as written grammar and speech. My last vacation from work was in 2008, so I'm thinking the stress of that is starting to built up and it's hitting a bursting point. Since where I work it's not safe to ask for any of your PTO hours. How can I solve this issue without risking asking for some time off?

Change jobs if at all possible. What kind of slavedrivers are you working for?
If you don't get to go on holidays in a decade and are afraid to ask for a day off, your employer is destroying you.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

P.s. before you quit your job - what you describe sounds a bit like the symptoms of sleep deprivation. How much sleep do you get and why? Might you have any problems with sleep such as apnea?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Feign illness? No one wants to be around someone with the stomach bug.

Death in the family? Aunt Bootsy passed away. Again!

There's always blunt honestly. Show them your post on this forum.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a term for . . . Porcupine 12 839 July 26, 2020 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Long time no see T.J. 15 1338 August 8, 2019 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Kitty Galore
  How do you people with long hair put it up? Foxaèr 32 6185 April 21, 2018 at 7:58 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is long term monogamy unnatural for human beings? Catholic_Lady 102 15923 April 8, 2018 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  How long can a Subway sandwich last in the refrigerator before it goes bad? Cthulhu Awakening 11 6483 December 24, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Side effects of total freedom. purplepurpose 18 2040 December 10, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  How Long Does Someone Have to be Dead Before People stop Referring to them as Late? Rhondazvous 10 3091 May 18, 2017 at 11:58 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  How long could you survive... Gawdzilla Sama 26 3459 April 12, 2017 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How long is yours? Exian 56 5110 November 27, 2015 at 1:47 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Stress Management Advice Edwardo Piet 11 2649 October 3, 2015 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: vorlon13