Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:14 am

Poll: Which is the better rule?
This poll is closed.
The silver rule.
50.00%
2 50.00%
The golden rule.
50.00%
2 50.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Silver Rule > The Golden Rule
The Silver Rule > The Golden Rule
Which is the better rule as a general moral guideline... the silver rule or the golden rule?

Discuss.
RE: The Silver Rule > The Golden Rule
Which Golden Rule?

The supposed philosophical stuff or the republicunt version:  "Them that has the gold make the rules?"
I've never heard of a silver rule. The golden rule has its flaws, but I think is still a decent idea.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

The silver rule is: don't talk about the silver rule.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Where is the poll choice for bestestessesness turtlificum ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

The silver rule is redundant, yet doesn't cover as much as the golden rule.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
The silver rule is don't do unto others as you wouldn't have them do unto you. Which means you won't do things to other people if they are things that would harm you.

And I find it less interfering and less "It's for your own good" than the golden rule... and since not everyone likes to be treated the same way.

The silver rule at least doesn't harm people directly whereas the golden rule definitely can. It can be officious.

Personally I think the two most principal moral principles are "Do no harm." and "Do some help." I think the silver rule is a very basic guide to doing no harm and the golden rule is a very basic guide to doing some help. I definitely think there is an asymmetry between pleasure and suffering and thus I lean more towards the side if the negative utilitarian than the pleasure utilitarian and I consider myself a moral antinatalist. I think of the two basic moral principles that I suggested ("Do no harm" and "Do some help.") "Do no harm." is hence the most fundamental of the two and therefore because the silver rule aligns with that better than the golden rule it is therefore the most fundamental of the two rules.

(March 22, 2017 at 5:17 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Where is the poll choice for bestestessesness turtlificum ??

I do muss being a turtle. Sad

FML
What about the platinum rule?

"Give Beccs all your platinum. And sapphires!"
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 22, 2017 at 6:04 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: What about the platinum rule?

"Give Beccs all your platinum.  And sapphires!"

Well shit. That's not what I wanted the Beccs rule to be, not anywhere close. (nudge nudge)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 22, 2017 at 6:28 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(March 22, 2017 at 6:04 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: What about the platinum rule?

"Give Beccs all your platinum.  And sapphires!"

Well shit. That's not what I wanted the Beccs rule to be, not anywhere close. (nudge nudge)

You have something against sapphires??

Angry
Dying to live, living to die.