Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Is Troubling.
This Is Troubling.
May as well eat, drink, and be merry because 2/3 of the time it doesn't fucking matter.

http://hub.jhu.edu/2017/03/23/cancer-mut...-mistakes/

Quote: New study sheds light on why cancer often strikes those with healthy lifestyles

Most cancer mutations are due to random DNA copying 'mistakes,' not inherited or environmental factors, Johns Hopkins researchers say

Quote:"It is well-known that we must avoid environmental factors such as smoking to decrease our risk of getting cancer. But it is not as well-known that each time a normal cell divides and copies its DNA to produce two new cells, it makes multiple mistakes," says Cristian Tomasetti, assistant professor of biostatistics at the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center and the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. "These copying mistakes are a potent source of cancer mutations that historically have been scientifically undervalued, and this new work provides the first estimate of the fraction of mutations caused by these mistakes."

I guess that's what the creatards call "intelligent design?"
RE: This Is Troubling.

I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 24, 2017 at 4:46 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I guess that's what the creatards call "intelligent design?"

Religious response: "God acts in mysterious ways."
Hail Satan!  Bow Down Diablo

Meh !!

I've had 2 cancer scares in the last few months and I've whipped it both times.

Bwa, ha, ha ha !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

There's a logical disconnect here, I think.

It seems to me that if cell division introduces genetic mistakes, and if some genetic mistakes lead to cancer, then anything that increases the rate of cell division must lead to an increased chance of cancer.

It seems to me that any kind of injury that requires cellular regeneration would fit the bill-- cell necrosis due to toxicity, cell regeneration due to sun or other burns, and so on. In other words, EVEN THOUGH the toxicity didn't directly cause the cancer, the fact that it increases the needed for cellular regeneration will increase the chance of cancer.

In other words, six of one and half a dozen of the other-- the only difference being that normal, healthy cellular division may have an equal chance of going cancerous.