Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone here seen the documentary Jesus Camp?
Anyone here seen the documentary Jesus Camp?
I have to watch it for my Sociology of Religion class, and it is cringy as fuck!

[Image: 1r95y6.gif]

[Image: 1rb9xg.gif]
RE: Anyone here seen the documentary Jesus Camp?
I think I saw a video of it on Bible Reloaded a long time ago. One of those fundy indoctrination camps. At least they're not kidnapping kids, and taking them to another country, like Kidnapped for Christ. I don't think. Still, it's creepy. Children literally crying with emotion, and all that. I was raised christian, and I count myself lucky it was an easygoing community.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I haven't watched the whole thing, just clips.

And, frankly, it's sickening.
Dying to live, living to die.
I guess my first question is why? What does the instructor state as the purpose of watching, what is the value?

Do you watch other nut job vids from other religions?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 28, 2017 at 8:55 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I guess my first question is why? What does the instructor state as the purpose of watching, what is the value?

Well to start it's a Sociology of Religion course. Secondly, we have watched other documentaries on cults as well. We watched one on Scientology, the Amish and another called Kumare' in which a guy demonstrates how easy it is to start a cult and get followers.

(March 28, 2017 at 9:10 pm)It_Was_me Wrote:
(March 28, 2017 at 8:55 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I guess my first question is why? What does the instructor state as the purpose of watching, what is the value?

Well to start it's a Sociology of Religion course. Secondly, we have watched other documentaries on cults as well. We watched one on Scientology, the Amish and another called Kumare' in which a guy demonstrates how easy it is to start a cult and get followers.

At the moment there's a rising controversy here in NZ regarding a cult called "Gloriavale".

Haven't read much about it but it seems to have everything other cults have:  Forced marriage, sexual abuse, locking people up as punishment, shunning of former members, and huge amounts of money.
Dying to live, living to die.
I could only get through a few minutes of those despicable scumbags.
(March 28, 2017 at 9:57 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I could only get through a few minutes of those despicable scumbags.

Lucky you! I have to watch the entire thing then write a paper on it.

I've seen it, I bought the DVD, and at least some of the people involved have changed from 10 years ago: Becky Fisher is no longer holding summer camps; Andrew (the kid who admitted he had struggles with his faith) has given up on Evangelical Christianity and moved on to the relatively less horrifying obsessions of Quantum mechanics, Eastern Mysticism, and psychotropic drugs; and Levi at least has the decency to cut off that rat-tail.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I did, at least in part. That's some time I'll never get back right there....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone here a Category 7? Jehanne 159 13104 October 9, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Has anyone here deconverted because of AF? Jehanne 21 4045 July 20, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Anyone here wear atheist/humanist jewelry? Foxaèr 24 3437 March 5, 2018 at 2:20 am
Last Post: rskovride
  One of the best videos i've seen in a long time Heat 1 1108 December 22, 2015 at 5:04 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Did anyone here post at the Atheist Plus forums? TheMessiah 10 4417 June 7, 2015 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Anyone here DP fans? mainethinker 8 2366 January 16, 2015 at 11:15 am
Last Post: mainethinker
  Anyone ever spent time at a bible camp? DeadChannel 21 3322 January 11, 2015 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The dumbest thing i have seen. dyresand 8 2698 October 31, 2014 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: abaris
  'Coming out' Atheism documentary is looking for interviewee's GrayTitan 0 951 September 10, 2014 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: GrayTitan
  Atheism + revisited, anyone here also post there? Whateverist 79 12980 July 31, 2014 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Violet