Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 8:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cognitive dissonance
Cognitive dissonance
In psychology, cognitive dissonance is the mental stress (discomfort) experienced by a person who simultaneously holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values; when performing an action that contradicts existing beliefs, ideas, or values; or when confronted with new information that contradicts existing beliefs, ideas, and values.[1][2]. In other words, the term refers to the perception of incompatibility of two simultaneous cognitions, which can impact on their attitudes.

Leon Festinger's 1957 theory of cognitive dissonance focuses on how human beings strive for internal consistency. A person who experiences inconsistency tends to become psychologically uncomfortable, and so is motivated to try to reduce the cognitive dissonance occurring, trying to "justify" their behavior by changing or adding new parts of the conflicting cognition, as well as actively avoids situations and information likely to increase the psychological discomfort.[1]

Interesting stuff. Plus, after I left religion few years ago I have the same state from time to time, which basically is a feeling of guilt and a small doubt that there is hell and I should repent and endure hardships by helping others and not think of my own egositical comfortable life.

Is this is the religious indoctrination I have been hearing about here?
RE: Cognitive dissonance
I'm thinking a MUCH bigger cognitive dissonance you are now avoiding from not being in the religious orbit is sincerely believing Jesus was crucified twice, first on Thursday, and then again on Friday, just the way Inerrant Holy Scripture reports.

Do you suppose they used the same nail holes again on Friday, or made new ones? You'll never look at triclavianism the same way again !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I keep telling everyone my farts don't stink. They keep telling me that they do. It's sad that so many people can be wrong.

Problem solved. (pfout, ahhhhh, roses)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 2, 2017 at 2:05 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: I'm thinking a MUCH bigger cognitive dissonance you are now avoiding from not being in the religious orbit is sincerely believing Jesus was crucified twice, first on Thursday, and then again on Friday, just the way Inerrant Holy Scripture reports.

Do you suppose they used the same nail holes again on Friday, or made new ones?  You'll never look at triclavianism the same way again !!!

The conflicting idea you bought up doesn't stand close to the core msg of believers - "serve or burn". That's the backbone and headache believers carry and wish to share, because they happen too fell like they should try to live a heroic life.
I suppose the brain is constantly bombarded with certain relics from past experiences that may trigger some of those conflicting thoughts. I personally get them when I am in a more depressing mood, which perhaps pushes someone to reiterate over their past decisions. What you stated is fairly similar to having gone through a break-up, you are sure the decision is beneficial to you, but you find yourself sometime in the future reassessing that decision.
(April 2, 2017 at 12:45 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: Interesting stuff. Plus, after I left religion few years ago I have the same state from time to time, which basically is a feeling of guilt and a small doubt that there is hell and I should repent and endure hardships by helping others and not think of my own egositical comfortable life.

Is this is the religious indoctrination I have been hearing about here?

Maybe it's God tapping you on the shoulder. Jesus taught us that it is important to help others even if we must deny ourselves some comfort to do so. Followers of Jesus believe that life isn't all about pleasure even though that is part of it. We gain more by giving ourselves for the good of others. This isn't some rule of religion, but rather a teaching of Jesus on how we should live.
(April 2, 2017 at 2:10 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I keep telling everyone my farts don't stink. They keep telling me that they do. It's sad that so many people can be wrong.

Problem solved. (pfout, ahhhhh, roses)

My farts taste like rainbows. Don't ask me how I know that. ABBA RULES! The Redskins will win the Superbowl this year. I am the sexiest man on the planet. Everyone loves me. 

(Katherine Hepburn voice looking in the mirror) "I said to myself Brian, you are beautiful, just ignore all the rotten tomatos about to be thrown at you)
Cognitive dissonance
(April 2, 2017 at 2:05 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: I'm thinking a MUCH bigger cognitive dissonance you are now avoiding from not being in the religious orbit is sincerely believing Jesus was crucified twice, first on Thursday, and then again on Friday, just the way Inerrant Holy Scripture reports.

You have to understand that several parallel universes phased in with each other. Each was slightly different but basically the same. That is why there seems to be discrepancies when there is actually not.

There is always an intelligent answer to things. Be more open minded.
When do we get to live in the parallel universe that has the hot hairy hung homo Jesus ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Cognitive dissonance
(April 6, 2017 at 9:54 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: When do we get to live in the parallel universe that has the hot hairy hung homo Jesus ?

You missed out on that pal. A case of being born too late. Sorry.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Community help for Non-Cognitive? TROC 38 16398 November 3, 2012 at 11:37 am
Last Post: TROC
  Cognitive Mechanisms - Andy Thomson - American Atheists 09 KichigaiNeko 5 3334 January 10, 2012 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused