Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History and were doomed to repeat it
History and were doomed to repeat it
so i love history and well... i noticed something like the Roman empire they expanded they expanded pretty much and i compared
and contrasted it to the US were heading down that same road the roman empire did and eventually we will end up like them eventually.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: History and were doomed to repeat it
I can prove that the Japanese were planning to attack Seattle on Dec. 7th, 1941, by picking the right documents to present.
Do you even English, bro?

Lol, where exactly are we expanding to again?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Well, if you're planning to become an empire, can you annex us?

Thanks.
The US is going to wind up like Rome? Good to know you'll still be around in 2000 years.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Special definitions ROCK, don't they?
(April 7, 2017 at 10:05 am)dyresand Wrote: so i love history and well... i noticed something like the Roman empire they expanded they expanded pretty much and i compared
and contrasted it to the US were heading down that same road the roman empire did and eventually we will end up like them eventually.

Every self important power seem to fear it would eventually suffer the fate of Rome.   The problem is very few of those powers were ever successful enough in terms of relative strength and influence to be in any position to suffer the fate of Rome.  

We flatter ourselves if we think we are yet destined to expand to the point where we could be in danger of suffering the fate of Rome.  In reality, we peaked either in 1945 (in terms of relative strength to the rest of the world), or in 1991 (in terms of global influence).  In terms of relative strength we are already a substantially declined power with no possibility of really reversing the trend.   Two other centers of power within our world can be considered our peers, with more in the offing.   They are growing, we are not.   In terms of global influence we are also a declining power saddled with a "president" intent on taking a torch to most of the influences we have remaining as if they were not decaying fast enough on their own.

So no, we will not suffer the fate of Rome.  We can't be the victims of our own success when we have no prospect of any more significant success.
(April 7, 2017 at 10:35 am)Isis Wrote: Well, if you're planning to become an empire, can you annex us?

Thanks.

Well i am a proud member of Kekistan Tongue
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
I took history classes for fourteen years when I was at Purdue.* They never mentioned history being cyclic.

*Retired and taking the classes I wanted to take. Got a MA in History in '04.
(April 7, 2017 at 11:16 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I took history classes for fourteen years when I was at Purdue.* They never mentioned history being cyclic.

*Retired and taking the classes I wanted to take. Got a MA in History in '04.

Cyclic means repeating on a predictable schedule.

History does not do so on predictable schedules. It only repeats at those times when you would feel the most worthlessly stupid for having forgotten it can repeat.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does the Great Man approach to history still have use? FrustratedFool 45 2304 December 6, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Most notorious badass in history? Fake Messiah 67 3690 September 7, 2023 at 6:39 am
  Is history best forgotten? MarcusA 0 321 August 18, 2023 at 12:56 am
Last Post: MarcusA
  The biggest scandal in history Fake Messiah 23 1518 August 14, 2023 at 8:32 am
Last Post: no one
  Want to know WW2 history? Brian37 12 1682 June 13, 2023 at 9:57 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Who was the worst Christian in history? Fake Messiah 29 3670 February 28, 2023 at 1:38 pm
  History is for suckers. brokefree 13 1338 September 2, 2021 at 10:45 pm
  The Bilble the oldest living form of written history we have jasonelijah 37 4022 April 22, 2021 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Presidential history. Brian37 16 1178 January 4, 2021 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Raven about Polls ..... History or myth? Brian37 9 1252 October 14, 2020 at 8:41 am