Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allah/Yahweh/Jesus are like.......
Allah/Yahweh/Jesus are like.......
I want your metaphor for how you view the lead characters of these books stemming from Abraham.

Mine.

When I hear someone threaten me with hell, I hear that line from Fatal Attraction,,,,,, God, "I WILL NOT BE IGNORED DAN!"

Or,

When someone of any of the three say "Dont pick on my  God you might hurt him"

I get the mental image of a midget standing spread eagle  with arms up in the air standing in front of the Terminator shouting, "Don't hit the Terminator, you might hurt him".
RE: Allah/Yahweh/Jesus are like.......
They are phony as all fuck.
(April 14, 2017 at 4:15 pm)Minimalist Wrote: They are phony as all fuck.

Well yea, but most of our 7 billion have some flavor. I was currently talking about the big three characters of one tradition and looking for a metaphor. 

God=Allah=Jesus=Yahweh are like (Insert metaphor here) 

"God is like a mafia boss"

"God is like a gang leader"

Like that. Now to our theist friends who might read this. It is not our anger at a real being, so please don't respond if you stupidly think that. To us these head characters might as well be out of a movie, like Lex Luthor or Darth Vader, or even Gangster Johny Rocco in the old Humphrey Bogart Movie "Key Largo".

When someone says "My (any of the three here) how does the atheist respond to a hollow threat?

I forgot which 90s comedy did it but someone did a claymation fake "WWF" deathcage match between Allah and Jesus. That is what I am looking for here. I think the skit was called "Celebrity Deathcage".
What about this one?

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(April 22, 2017 at 4:22 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: What about this one?

I like him, I never liked boxing, most of it was because of my being bullied never knew how to fight. But his core reason for doing all that according to him from the interviews I saw over my life, it still amounted to he didn't want to disappoint Allah and to me that is no different than when a Christian says they don't want to end up in hell. He wanted to do good, which is good, but he thought to do that you needed a belief in a non existent being. 

He WAS right about war though. Why should anyone go over to another country and murder individuals you never met just because the governments don't get along. That part I did like about his logic. 

He still had the same fear of the afterlife I saw in my Catholic Mom, who would take a communion "just in case". As strong as he was, just like my mom, most humans fear the thought of being finite. My mom was an awesome person, and Ali certainly did contribute to future equality, but neither of them really needed a god. The power was in them.
They are all like farts in a hurricane.
(April 22, 2017 at 6:21 pm)Minimalist Wrote: They are all like farts in a hurricane.

Th entire universe is. It is just that most humans think in a 13.8 billion year old universe with hundreds of billions of galaxies of  bubbles as a result of that "fart" means the bubbles will survive the hurricane that has been much older than humans and will be still going on after we go bye bye.
I was just trying to give you your metaphor, man.
Metaphors?

Fuck, I've been trying to come up with a goddamn simile . . . .

[grumble grumble]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(April 22, 2017 at 6:21 pm)Minimalist Wrote: They are all like farts in a hurricane.

I prefer teardrops in the rain.

Or

a piss in the ocean

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Made in Alexandria: The Origin of the Yahweh Cult A_Nony_Mouse 115 40552 April 18, 2013 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: A_Nony_Mouse