Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
yup, that's about what I expected.
yup, that's about what I expected.
So my dad finally called and talked to me. :/ it was everything I expected and more. He made sure to let me know he was "disappointed" in me. Expressed his fear that I was going to hell and bringing my toddler with me. Let me know that he was praying for me. Tried to convince me that there was actual scientific proof for the bible. 

Oh, and let me know what I thought and felt and he was sure to let me know that I didn't do enough research before jumping to the conclusion. 

He was sure to tell me how I felt, what I thought and did these years that lead up to this decision. 

He kept accusing me of straw-manning and straw-manned the whole damn time. 

He was in an accident when he was young along with 9 other kids, 8 of them died and one of them was left a vegetable, he survived, therefore GOD! 

I'm upset and hurt that now that he's worried about my "eternal soul" he wants to try to guilt me and talk to me more. He sent a message to me this morning letting me know that he loves me and that Jesus loves me and that he's praying for me. He never messaged me before, but now that my "eternal soul" is at risk he's gotta let me know he cares. 

I'm so done. I feel so stupid for fighting for this relationship with him. I tried for so long to keep communications open with him but I can't get it in return unless I'm disagreeing with him about this horrid fairy tale. 

I'm stopping now. If he contacts me fine. but I am not sticking my neck out any more.  Dead Horse
RE: yup, that's about what I expected.
(Hug)
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
Some people are beyond hope.

The thing is that you can't let them drag you under with their bullshit because they will do it with glee.

I wonder if they ever understand that we are all terribly disappointed with them?
I'm sure you saw this coming, the old leopard/spots thing. 

I'd do the same thing, cut him off, at least for awhile. Let him know that his relationship with you and your toddler (son/daughter) can no longer include religion. If he starts in, tell him he's fucking up again and end the contact. He gets to believe what he wants, you get yours. If he does not get that, ultimately, it's his loss. Sorry grandpa, a bed of your own making. Sorry grandma and great grandma, hope you like grampy running the show. 

That's the path I took. Fortunately my family was a bit more rational and understanding. It only took it about 6 months for it to finally sink in.  

Living under pressure and guilt is no way to live. Eternal soul??? HAH! Tell him you've given it to me and he does not even want to know what I'm doing with it!

Stay strong and give it time. It might hurt for a while, but that's better than living with the false guilt and shame. If they come around great, if not, their loss.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Got to love those stories where some disaster happens, and they praise god because one of them survived. So god decided to step in, and all he could accomplish was one survivor?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(May 2, 2017 at 9:14 am)mh.brewer Wrote: I'm sure you saw this coming, the old leopard/spots thing. 

I'd do the same thing, cut him off, at least for awhile. Let him know that his relationship with you and your toddler (son/daughter) can no longer include religion. If he starts in, tell him he's fucking up again and end the contact. He gets to believe what he wants, you get yours. If he does not get that, ultimately, it's his loss. Sorry grandpa, a bed of your own making. Sorry grandma and great grandma, hope you like grampy running the show. 

That's the path I took. Fortunately my family was a bit more rational and understanding. It only took it about 6 months for it to finally sink in.  

Living under pressure and guilt is no way to live. Eternal soul??? HAH! Tell him you've given it to me and he does not even want to know what I'm doing with it!

Stay strong and give it time. It might hurt for a while, but that's better than living with the false guilt and shame. If they come around great, if not, their loss.

OF course I knew exactly what to expect. That's why avoided it so much. I wanted to try and save what I could of our relationship. He doesn't realize how much he has hurt me. Like sometimes I wish I was wrong so that he could face all the shit he's ever done to me. He's been a jerk and he will never know it.
(May 2, 2017 at 9:29 am)Chad32 Wrote: Got to love those stories where some disaster happens, and they praise god because one of them survived. So god decided to step in, and all he could accomplish was one survivor?

There was a plane crash a while ago where everyone was killed except one little boy who was severely burned.  In addition, his entire family was wiped out but that did not stop the religitards from proclaiming it one of their fucking miracles.

God-the-Inept needs to work on his miracles, man.
(May 2, 2017 at 12:56 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(May 2, 2017 at 9:29 am)Chad32 Wrote: Got to love those stories where some disaster happens, and they praise god because one of them survived. So god decided to step in, and all he could accomplish was one survivor?

There was a plane crash a while ago where everyone was killed except one little boy who was severely burned.  In addition, his entire family was wiped out but that did not stop the religitards from proclaiming it one of their fucking miracles.

God-the-Inept needs to work on his miracles, man.

"Nobody knew being a competent, loving god could be so complicated." -- Donald J. Yahweh
Aw sweetie I know that is hard. My god mother took her role very seriously and was always preaching to me. It got to the point where I was like "Nope we aren't discussing religion. Talk to me about something else." If she continued I ignored her or kept derailing the convo. Eventually she gave up and now we are able to be friends again. Granted it did take years but I would hope your dad would eventually come around as well or at least tune it down a little. I don't see you needing to really cut all ties unless he is really harassing you and your family and I don't know him or the full situation.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
(May 2, 2017 at 1:14 pm)mlmooney89 Wrote: Aw sweetie I know that is hard. My god mother took her role very seriously and was always preaching to me. It got to the point where I was like "Nope we aren't discussing religion. Talk to me about something else." If she continued I ignored her or kept derailing the convo. Eventually she gave up and now we are able to be friends again. Granted it did take years but I would hope your dad would eventually come around as well or at least tune it down a little. I don't see you needing to really cut all ties unless he is really harassing you and your family and I don't know him or the full situation.

I don't think cutting him off is the answer either, I'm just thinking of I shouldn't go out of my way to talk to him if he's not going to go out of his way to talk to me. I've had issues with him caring more about his new wife and never contacting me. I'm always the one that has to contact him. When I try and talk to him about it he says that he's busy or he knows that I know he loves me. I live a state away so I don't matter.